Stupid mistake & widda brain

lcoxwell

I am sitting here in tears, completely numb, and at a total loss as to what to do. Thanks to widda brain and a stupid mistake, I am likely going to lose out on the apartment I put a deposit on a few days ago. I am going to have to tell New Guy, too; and I don't even have the words.

To try and make a long story short, on Monday, I was a little over two hours away from home, looking at possible apartments. I found one I like and went by the bank to deposit the money I would need for the deposit on the apartment, then wrote a check and gave it to the manager.

Here is my problem. Since I am moving, I am in the process of changing banks, because there are no branches of the credit union I have been using in the town I am moving to. I don't have checks yet from my new bank.

Anyway, I deposited the money into the new bank and arranged for a wire transfer to the old bank, since I was not in town to deposit the money directly into my old bank. I paid extra money I could not afford, to make sure it was a same day wire transfer. I received an email confirmation from the new bank, saying the transfer had been completed and went online to check the balance to verify the funds had been sent.

My mistake was that I did not check the balance at my old bank to make sure they received the funds. Such a stupid, stupid mistake. I should have known to check. A couple of days later, it finally occurs to me to check the balance.

I had assumed that my old bank would make the funds available immediately, but they didn't. Because the transfer was arranged online, they hold the funds for 3 days.The funds have not been applied to my account and, in the meantime, the deposit check bounced.

Try not to panic. Tell your prospective landlord what happened. Offer to pay the fees he incurs. Things happen. It was beyond your control and if the landlord can't work with you on this, when it is only a 3 day delay, well, maybe you are better off.

I think that given they know you are moving, if you explain the situation and show them documentation that you transferred the funds in good faith, they will work with you I bet. It's not like you have a history of it. I think they won't want to lose a good tenant.  Take a deep breath and don't panic just yet honey it still might be okay.

Oh, hugs!!! Deep breaths... I'm panicking for you, so you don't have to! I had something similar happen with the first house Jim and I moved into. I called the landlord immediately and explained the error-- in my case, the direct deposit for my paycheck was unexpectedly delayed. He was exasperated, but he agreed to hold onto my check until the next day. I took him a cashier's check, and he gave me the first check back, so I was able to avoid the bounce-- but he took the opportunity to rub it in a little, and made me promise that it would never happen again. @@

Anyway, it all worked out, but it was crazy stressful. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. Just breathe-- all will be well. Promise.

More hugs!

Not wanting to hide things from New Guy, I immediately told him about the situation. He did chide me a little about it, but was not unreasonable or mean-spirited. His advice was to call the manager of the apartment right away, which I did. New Guy and I both agreed it would be better that the manager hear it from me, before he received the notification from the bank that the check had bounced.

I explained the situation to the manager, as clearly as I could, even mentioning I had received the email confirmation from my new bank that the money had been transferred, before I wrote the check. As it turns out, another current renter had a similar situation earlier in the week, which went in my favor. The manager simply asked that I write another check. I offered to pay any additional charges that might have incurred, but he said it was not necessary this time. He also thanked me for being honest and for taking care of the situation right away.

Anyway, I now have the gate code and I go in about two weeks to sign the lease and pick up the keys. I got the apartment! I feel like I can breathe again, at least until I have to start packing and going through Kenneth's things again. This is so, so hard!

Yay :) I'm so happy that it worked out.  He could have been a real ass, so kudos to him for being a decent human being ha ha.  It was very smart to get ahead of the situation and showed integrity. He will remember that.

So not a fan of moving.

^^^^ This is so me right now! I have always hated moving, but it is especially hard doing this alone.

I have decided that someone needs to start a charitable organization that goes around, assisting widows and widowers with moving. It should be a team, with a counselor to help work through the grieving and to talk about the memories that sorting and packing all those belongings bring up. Then there should be an organizer, who can assist with all the little details. Add a few people to do the heavy lifting, and to make the runs to the dump or to charitable organizations, and provide the service for free. All the widow/widower would have to do is work with the team and tell them what to get rid of and what to keep.