Has anyone tried speed dating?

momtokam

I have not been impressed with the on line dating.

A friend suggested speed dating and he thought it would be perfect for me. Has anyone tried it? Have you gone alone? How was it?

I'm not sure I want to go alone, and I have no one single in my circle to go with me. Anyone want to go with me? :-)

Momtokam,

Yes, I've tried it, several times. I like it better than online because online is one-dimensional. All the profiles are the same (long walks on the beach, blah, blah, blah) and you can't tell if there is a real attraction until you meet someone. Well, at the speed dating you DO meet people. Even if you don't have that attraction, you get practice talking to someone. The 8 minutes (or whatever time they use) goes by quickly enough if it's someone you don't care for.

I've met a lot of nice people who would make fine friends, but not long term partners (dated a few for multiple dates, but haven't found the one yet) so it becomes at worst a pleasant night out.

As far as going alone, maybe there is a difference between men and women - no hesitation the first time I went. Anyway, you are mostly busy talking to others. If you are thinking about it, go do it! Even if you end up hating it, it's over quickly enough.

Mike

Thank you so much for the info Mike.

I love to talk so I think I would enjoy it. Also the others are there to meet people too so no wondering about their intentions. My biggest hold back is going to a downtown bar in my big city on my own. If I had company I would be all over it I think.

Momtojandj, I would take you with me if you were closer! We would have a blast I think!

(long walks on the beach, blah, blah, blah)

LOL, I know, right? And port. They always loooove a good glass of port.

back to the topic: I almost went, I hope that counts. The event was cancelled. So I only have an opinion on going alone and I say yes, it's an excellent idea to go alone. First of all, it's the best "mingling" event for being alone. think of any other group event, walking in alone and having to find someone to have a conversation with. In speed dating, you don't need to make an effort to break the ice, you literally are there to speak with a set number of people who are conveniently placed right in front of you for a set period of time. One at a time. I say go for it. It sounds like much better fun than online dating.