I just come here to swear ~~~

Nuggets

My mother will undergo colon cancer surgery on 13 August ... a pre-cancerous polyp was removed during her colonoscopy last week, and a tumour observed and biopsied.

Bad News:  Tumour is malignant and they will remove it and resection the colon.  Decent News:  it appears to be early stage, and the only occurance.

I came back from Costa Rica on the weekend -- my residency there was finalized on 7 July.... colonoscopy on 14 July, I went to the pre-surgery consultation with her yesterday. 

Fuck.

I hope she does as well as my mother did.  Had a resection.  No recurrences for the last 18 years.  Ah, but I get to schedule my third colonoscopy next week.  Family history puts me (and you) in a higher risk group, and even though I get CT scans for my own cancer every 3-4 months, I still get to have more frequent colonoscopies for HER cancer.

She will do well.  Try to think positively.

Maureen

• 5 weeks later...

I went home to Canada to do Dutiful Daughter Duty ~~ long story, but my mother's long time partner has the compassion of a day old newspaper, and would have expected a meal on the table once she made it home from hospital. 

I may have caused a ruckus ~ she and the partner of 34 years got into a huge fight a couple nights after she come home ~ like: 'If you don't step up and help, pack your bags and leave' kind of fight... so things were tense.  I kept my nose out of it - of of his whines was that supper was at 8 pm one night because I went to visit her in the hospital -- it may have caused the fight as I heard:  'Guess what, ASSHOLE!?  She is here for ME, not YOU!' --- Oy.  Thank to the Universe for wine.

Good news - biopsy report came back that 19 of 19 lymph nodes taken outside of the colon have come back clean, she appears to have dodged a bullet and for her troubles is about 12" and 1 malignant tumour less than 13 August.

Not So Good news - the gall bladder issues that triggered the whole investigation have resurfaced and she will probably undergo a second surgery as soon as the colon resection has healed.

I am back in Costa Rica ~ I slept until 930am this morning --- ya, 930.  It was pre-death the last time I slept past 630 am... still letting that sink in for me. 

Thanks to all for sympathy and kind words ~~~

Another Canadian hoping to dodge these horrid winters.

Truly ~ I am a Weather Refugee here.

I grew up in the Yukon Territory and then 35 years on the Canadian prairies ~ I don't have to prove nothing to nobody anymore!  LOL 

Shoveled my fair share of driveways and sidewalks, drove on frozen tires, had downfilled everything at some point in my life (including a housecoat from Eddie Bauer -- ) only to discover a severe allergy to feathers... and walked to school in 40 Below, in the days it was Fahrenheit ~ and did it at -40C when we switched to SI (frikken cold in either scale).

C'mon down, the beer is cold and you only need one wardrobe.