Ready for School??

mmg19

1 week until school starts for my boys.  They've been staying up later and sleeping later in the morning and tonight we start the plan to reset our internal clocks.  Trying 15 minute increments of earlier bedtime and earlier rising.  Each night it goes back 15 more minutes until we adjust.  They will be leaving for school at 7:30 so morning rise and shine will be 6:30.  Hope this works.  What do others do?  My boys need 9 hrs. sleep to do well and this summer has totally screwed up their sleep time.  Up until 11 some nights and not up until 9 most mornings.  Any tips?

My schedule will be changing too so that may help.  I'm now reporting to school at 7:15 and old job was 8:30.  I'm shooting for 10 bedtime and 6 wake up.  Working on 9 to 9:30 for them.  Now wishing I had started this plan a week earlier.

I do the same thing. At least a week before they go back to school I start sending them to bed a little earlier each night. My daughters are 16, 13, and 8. The older two fight me, but I figure they are old enough to deal with the consequences their first week back. Eventually they don't fight me on it because they are tired. My daughters start the 12th. Last night I had them shut down their devices earlier and get around for bed earlier. They have been going to bed really late this summer though.

I am a fan of the ripping the bandaid method. Enjoy the fact that it's a holiday as long as possible and then just switch schedules at once, when it's necessary. It takes a few days to adjust, but since the whole day changes (as opposed to changing the schedule slowly over the summer days when you're still living the days on holidays) the adjustment is easier. Good luck!