Online .. Free versus paid

Momtojandj

Ok , went back on two free sites and trying hard to find discounts to rejoin match. Let me tell you how many married , or dating men on okcupid... And they put it right out there , in the profile, email me and that's the first thing they say . Crazy ! Last year I had used free sites, and nothing like this .. What a difference a year makes .  Ooo I can I also tell you about the 22 year old , that messaged and all it said was how did your husband die ? ... Omg go away

First off let me start by saying after a year or so on dating sites I still really don't know what the heck I am doing.  I have read numerous articles and even books and I still have no clue. I just can't seem to connect with anyone. I just am lacking in something in all of this. 

I first joined e harmony and what a waste of money that one is since there are very few members in Northern Ontario.  I tried Match as well and maybe a few more contacts.  I tried Ok cupid but there was only 4 guys from the north on it.  I am on POF and I think I am at my breaking point.  At first I had the weird dos sending me messages but that has stopped.  Now I just seem to get the separated guys that I am sure have just recently separated. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Don't know what I'm doing either!

I've tried both, neither seem to work for me.

Right now I'm only on OK Cupid. Yup! Lots of 20 year olds again!

I am talking with one very intriguing man, right now. We have a date next Saturday as he is on a business trip right now. He seems to check out, have his name and everything. He is just older than I am used to, 8 years older. We do have a really good connection. We've spent lots of time on the phone etc. 

We shall see!

I think there are more differences in each service regionally than between free and paid services, e.g. I don't hear about nearly so many liars and horndogs on POF here than people report in some other places.  Aside from OKCupid having an extraordinarily high number of women listing themselves as bisexual nationwide, a lot is regional.

It's a numbers game, and you need to go where the people are and apply the right filters.  I am on match.com, which I do think has the most active people, and a lot are good.  POF has a lot of people here, too.  OKCupid has way fewer people, but paradoxically I used to meet more people on OKC than match.com.  In July, I met two women through POF and two through match.com.  One match.com woman said "no thanks" after two dates, I said that to another from POF after three dates, and the other two are in play with the other match.com in the lead.  Not taking anything to the bank yet.

Take care,

Rob T

Match is better quality where I live than the free sites. POF in my area is awful!! Men looking for sex on the side...and gross men.

But my experience is limited-But IMO...you'll find better quality/more serious choices on a paid site.

And the 20 year olds are on all of them. lol

Guest Mel4072

I agree that it's a numbers game. I also have had the same experience as Sugarbell with sites. I'm engaged and have been off all dating sites since Frbruary. My best friend is on POF and she meets jerks. I will say that she only looks at outward appearance, and not in the same way I do. I looked for indications of character and personality. She looks for a hottie. I think it's important to steer clear of shirtless selfies in the bathroom mirror, cars and motorcycle pics or partying pics.

I've encouraged her to try Match because my experience was that men were more respectful on Match. (That's how I met my fianc?. ) I didn't have any 20 something's contact me on Match. Only one guy was a little colorful and I quit talking to him pretty quickly because he said he would have a constant boner around me.

Good luck! Be careful and be selective!

I agree it varies by region but I have done ALOT of online dating (how I met my LH) and I always found Match.com to have the best potential matches and less nut jobs. eHarmony was a waste of money and while the qualilty of men was better than free sites - I wouldnt recommend their system. For one, I dont like being matched by a computer and two the commication method turns alot of guys off to it I think. In terms of free sites, I liked the fun quality of OKC but there were way too many "prowlers" and "men looking to hook up" on there and the free sites tend to attract alot of  men that I wouldnt be interested in dating. I dated a man I met on OKC who turned out to be a complete liar and just looking to find women to prey on. Plus alot of young guys contacted me on free sites - I didnt really have this issue with the paid sites. Online dating is hard, and frustrating but keep going Momtojandj - there are decent, great men out there waiting to be found by you !

Things are going well.  I managed to dump one before my trip, without quite intending to.  The phone conversation was like this:

Me: I have some concerns after looking at your Facebook page.

Her: You're dumping me because of my Facebook page?

Me: Well, more concerns I wanted us to think about and talk about.

Her: Don't you think you should get to know me instead of dumping me over my Facebook page?

Me: Again, not my intent to dump you over this, more to talk.

Her: I guess if you want, you can dump me over my Facebook page.

Me: Yeah, it's sad but I guess I have to dump you over your Facebook page, best of luck!

A man can only try to clarify so many times.

Radio silence on the others, no news means no issues :-)

I hope Mr. OK is ... OK, SunshineFL!

Take care,

Rob T

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

Facebook is like the ruination of social media. I rarely give out info or accept friends who might be romantic interests. I post parodies and sound bites to my bands. Rob what terrible thing has she posted ? Exes or flirtatious messages do draw the line, then their on an ego trip.