Summer camp for children who lost a parent to cancer

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

It is once again time for camp!  My daughter is out of her mind (and hence, driving me nuts) excited!  Camp Kesem is a weeklong, free summer camp for children whose lives have been affected by cancer.  I can't say enough about this amazing organization.  We go to the one run through UPenn but there are dozens of other chapters run out of college campuses all across the country.    If you are interested or have questions, please feel free to PM me or check out campkesem.org.   

Guest TooSoon

Feel free to pm me anytime if you have any questions.  I know someone else here whose daughters are going to another Camp Kesem location this summer for the first time.  I forgot to mention that many of the children go back year after year and become very close.  The counselors host a fall reunion and a spring reunion and our camp had a big fundraiser in mid-winter which a lot of the kids attended.  It has really been a wonderful experience in every way!

Guest TooSoon

My daughter attended a similar camp last year - Camp Erin.  I think it helped her to understand that she is not alone and out on an island.

Yes, it seems the children don't actively talk much about their grief or their losses but they intrinsically know the other kids there understand and that they are, as you say, not islands.  I've ranted and raved about how children are just expected to get back up and at it after a loss - back to school, back to activities, back to "normal."  I like the idea that there is a happy place full of love and laughter (and some seriously impressively spectacular counselors) where my daughter can just let it all out and BE.  Just be happy.  Just be like everyone else without the "Where's your Daddy?" questions or longing looks I see from time to time when she sees other kids with their fathers.  Huge fan of Camp Kesem! 

My two younger girls went this year for the first time.  They had a blast came home asking if they can go next year.  All run by some fabulous college kids.  Both girls shared their stories about dad and were telling me about other kids who had lost a parent.  My 16yo can't return as a camper but she asked about going back as a CIT.  Met a lovey young lady who was a camp kesem kid and picked a school that participated so that she could continue as a counselor.  I was really impressed that she was impacted enough by a week at camp enough to want to share that experience with other kids like herself. 

Thanks so much TooSoon for telling me about this.

Guest TooSoon

My two younger girls went this year for the first time.  They had a blast came home asking if they can go next year.  All run by some fabulous college kids.  Both girls shared their stories about dad and were telling me about other kids who had lost a parent.  My 16yo can't return as a camper but she asked about going back as a CIT.  Met a lovey young lady who was a camp kesem kid and picked a school that participated so that she could continue as a counselor.  I was really impressed that she was impacted enough by a week at camp enough to want to share that experience with other kids like herself. 

Thanks so much TooSoon for telling me about this.

This made my day!  So happy for you all that it worked out and thrilled your eldest wants to be a CIT!  Fantastic!