1 week in... I don't know how I will do this

I got so little sleep in he beginning I actually experienced hallucinations. It wasn't like Charlie Chaplin suddenly as in the room doing a routine or something like that. It was more hearing noises that weren't there and seeing orbs of light the size of bugs whizzing towards my face. Crazy, right?

I started sleeping any chance I possibly could. 30 minutes here, an hour there. It wasn't until I was nearly 3 months in that I slept through the entire night. It helped me to put something on tv. My attention span was such crap I would be able to drift off. Often, it took 3 or 4 passes to watch an hour long show, but sleep was happening. I also completely gave up caffeine for about the first 2.5 months.

Not sleeping compounds everything and that sucks so much. At over a year out now, I do often sleep through the night, but I do not always. My wake ups are shorter and I can go back to sleep easier. I so hate saying it took months for me, but do remember everyone is different and it may straighten out sooner rather than later for you. I hope it does.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any advice on sleeping? I can't seem to get more than 5 or so hours.

I only had problems with sleep during a brief period of intense rage. Otherwise, I seem to sleep OK.

All I can recommend is doing the things that keep your body on a regular cycle:

• Make sure you eat well, and at regular mealtimes.
  • Get some exercise outside during daylight hours. Your dog would probably be glad to help you do this. ;)
  • Don't stay up too late. Consider going to bed early.
  • Don't drink too much alcohol. That is known to disrupt sleep.

Every morning I wake up with a start at around 430-530am.

That's not the worst time to wake up, though I wouldn't recommend any earlier. When I was first widowed, I set my alarm for 5:00 AM instead of 6:00. That way, I could visit my wife's grave for 10 or 15 minutes and still get to work early. Now that 14 months has passed, I still have my alarm set for 5:00, even if I don't go to Catherine's grave every day like I used to.

I hope you sleep much better tonight.

|+|  M a r k  |+|