Stopping by to say hello

lcoxwell

I'm sorry I haven't been around lately and haven't given any updates, since right before my big move. For those who have been worried, thank you for checking up on me. You reminded me, once again, why the people here hold such a special place in my heart.

My move was much harder on me than I ever expected. I ended up losing 10 pounds in a week, had very little sleep the week of the move, and nearly ended up in the hospital. I had to make the choice to delay my move, so I could slow down and take more time to go through things and pack properly, or end up in the hospital again. Neither was a workable solution. New Guy made the suggestion that I contact my landlady, offer to pay to have someone come in any haul everything away, and just walk away from it all (since I was looking for a fresh start and new beginning, anyway). For my own sanity and health, that's what I ended up doing. I only brought the absolute most important few belongings and the essential necessities. Everything else, that I hadn't already taken care of, was left behind.

It wasn't how I wanted to do things, but I think New Guy's solution was absolutely brilliant. Other than a few things I wished I had packed and forgot about, due to the health problems and lack of sleep, mostly I am glad I did things the way I did. There was a sense of comfort in looking around my old house one last time and seeing several of Kenneth's things right where he had always kept them. There was also a sense of freedom and lightness in just letting go.

Guest mawidow

Sending massive support! I did my move sorta the same way - turned around, left everything behind, and closed the door. That feeling of lightness you describe has just gotten lighter and lighter for me. Both the physical and symbolic acts of letting go were very profound. I hope you continue to take exquisitely good care of yourself.

I am so glad to hear from you, I've been thinking of you and wondering how the big move went.

We moved right around the same time and a part of me wishes I could've left everything behind but with 3 kids still at home, not really an option.  I did get rid of a lot so I can relate to that feeling of lightness.  This moving stuff is more stressful than I ever imagined, and I stayed in the same town!

I'm so proud of you for taking care of your health, it's so much more important than material things,  as we all know.  I hope you are feeling more settled and continuing to take care of yourself.

{{{HUGS}}}  Moving is stressful enough and being able to let go of Kenneth's things added to that. 

I hope you are getting a little settled in your new place, unpacking is a lot of work too, just take your time and enjoy putting things where you want them to be.

Simired: One thing about moving, walking away, and leaving it all behind is that it is easy to unpack and get settled, especially since I only brought absolute necessities. Last Friday, I went out with some of the other new teachers to celebrate "surviving" our first week of school. During the conversation, we talked about the struggle of not getting paid until October and the struggle of moving. I told them how I had left everything behind and am now living the life of a student, who is fresh out of college and has no furniture.

I laughed and told my coworkers that I was sleeping on what was my son's twin bed and using the dresser that was his, since I no longer wanted the bed that my husband died in. I also told them that I have two deck chairs in the living room, which I have decorated with throw pillows and blankets, so I wouldn't have to bring the living room furniture that Kenneth and my daughter had once bought together with me; and I have the desk that was once sitting in my daughter's room. I am also using the chair from her room to have a place to sit in my dining area, but I left behind the dining room table, that was Kenneth's from before we were married.

A few minutes before I had told them about my furniture situation, they had joked about buying batteries for one of the teachers. After I told them my story, I had to laugh, when they joked that they were going to forget buying her batteries and were going to take up a collection to buy me furniture instead. I think once I do get furniture, I am going to invite them over for dinner. :)