Kik?

Jen

Okay... I'm branching into new and unexplored territory involving online socializing. I started reading Reddit, then posted a few times, and someone invited me to a chat group on Kik. I thought, What the hell, I have no life, and joined. It's been kind of nice (though it's a huge time suck, people talk ALL. THE. TIME), the room I've been in is just a place to hang out, no one trolling for anything. But people-- by which I mean men-- have started to PM me, and I don't even know how they're seeing my profile (all there is a screen name and a partial pic of my face). I got a list of "people you may know," a la Facebook-- I recognized my Economics professor from last fall, lol!! (I did not start a chat with him!) Another guy PM'd me, and because I was bored, I had a nice conversation with him-- after three days of occasional chats (I'm bored, how are you, fine, whatcha up to, anything interesting, how's the weather, work sucks, blah blah blah-- pleasant, nothing prurient!) I finally figured out that he's my son's best friend's dad!  :o

So here's my question: does anyone use Kik, and am I incredibly naive about it? Are people (including son's friend's dad) looking for hookups? I just want to talk to someone in real time once in awhile, and I don't have anybody. I'm lonely, that's all. By being on there, am I saying "I'm desperate and/or a tramp"??

UGH. I don't want to do this. I don't want to be alone, but I don't want to have to wade through weirdos and creeps-- or my teenager's (thankfully divorced) parents-- to find someone. Can I just have my person back, please? That would make it all so much easier, and I could concentrate on things like raising my kids and getting through school...

I've never used Kik, so I have absolutely no useful advice to pass on whatsoever. For what it is worth, though, you have a very engaging and interesting writing style, so I could see why people would be interested in talking to you and in getting to know you more.

No, it's not a hookup site. It's a messenger app. My kids use it and I use it to keep up with them because it seems to work faster than regular text messages, especially when I am in certain areas.  Theres no "dating" aspect to it, unless that's what you're using it for. 

It's just nice to talk to people, I guess. Sometimes it feels like the loneliness will eat me alive. I'm not looking for a hookup or even a date, just someplace to hang out. I wish I didn't have to worry about it, but I know me well enough to know that if I don't make some sort of effort, I'll end up huddled in my hamster ball, alone except for a couple of stuffed animals that my kids insist on tucking in with me, forever and ever. :(

I don't want to be alone. I'm tired of alone...

Oh, son's friend's dad is divorced. He knows who I am-- when I finally figured it out, I said, "Oh! You're K's dad!" The light dawned: "You're G's mom!" Lol. His number was in my contact list because my son spends the night at his house once in awhile, so Kik put me on his "people you might know" list. I'd talked to him on the phone before, but we've never actually met. And he's a nurse too, although he works at the opposite end of the spectrum-- I take care of new moms and babies, he works in a nursing home. We've been commiserating over healthcare crap-- lousy staffing, long hours, not fabulous pay, and so forth. Something to do, I guess.

Can I just scream now? THIS WID THING SUCKS. :(  :(  :(

KIK is just a messanger app. I have talked to many friends using it. There is no dating aspect. I do know that others can see when you have a profile...I get some random messages from different people asking to chat. I just delete and talk to the people I wan to. It is free to use so anyone can create an account.

There is nothing wrong with chatting with people in real time...enjoy it...doesn't mean you have to speak to all of them....use that delete button.