Random iPhone question

Gabzmom

Gah!  This is a non-important topic but I need to ask as I do not get the whole data thing. 

I am grandfathered with unlimited data with my carrier.  I was eligible for a new contract back in February 2014.  I just chose to keep my old iPhone and have not renewed.  I am considering getting a new phone and it will cost about $700 if I do not upgrade with the carrier.  If I do, then I have to go to a new data plan.  If I upgrade, I think the phone is about $400 with the same gigs.  I have a 64 gig iPhone 4S. 

I am getting a new phone because I have had it shut down on me and I have lost numbers, etc. 

Have no idea why I feel I need to keep unlimited data.  I don't use more than 2 Gs per month.  My DD has a tendency to use 4 to 5 Gs on a heavy month. 

Gah, again!  ::)

I would ask the carrier if they have any specials.  When I upgraded to an iPhone 6 they were running a double data special and I got 4gb for the price of 2gb.  That said, I have yet to go over 2 gb.  Consider your usage over the last few months to determine if you will end up paying overages.

Another option would be to see if there is a newer iPhone that someone wants to sell to you.  Make sure it is from the same carrier, because you can't cross carriers with your phone.  My son broke his phone and was not ready for an upgrade.  He was able to get an iPhone 5s for under $200.