The "like" feature

Guest TooSoon

Thank you all for participating in helping to make Widda a better place for us all. Your thoughtful responses are appreciated.

The "like stats" count counter has been removed by Wadmin, our technical genius and man-behind-the-curtain.

I don't post very often, being one of those who likes to stand on the sidelines and watch, and have no preference for or against the 'like' button. I just wanted to a that I love the fact we have a Wadmin for our admin! 😄

I am joining in on the discussion a little late, since I have not been on the board in about a month and am playing "catch up". Personally, I like having the option to use the like button and do so often. For me, I often use the button, when others have said what I would like to have said, only better. I also use it to show support or to acknowledge that I have read something that someone has written, even if I have not written a response, for whatever reason. There are also times, when I feel like I am posting far too much and get tired of reading my own thoughts, so I may use the like button to give the rest of you a break from reading my posts, as well.  ;)

I think keeping likes while removing the like count is a good answer.  Posting "well said", "this", "bravo", etcetera serves the same function but I feel like I'm just taking up post space when I do that (not saying posts like that are wrong, that's just my feeling)

The like counter felt out of place in a serious forum, especially one where it's often difficult for people to post.  Think about the raw emotional state people here are in, especially the newly bereaved.

I understand the use of the like button, but I've had a hard time understanding why it would be used to like someone else's pain or grief here on a widow web site. It just doesn't seem appropriate to use it here.

But that's just me.

Guest nonesuch

Sometimes I'll think about replying, but someone has already done a better job of expressing what I wanted to say.  I might hit the like button for that.

I roll my eyes at the "like and share" Facebook stuff.  A couple summers ago, one person wanted to have a benefit concert for a particular cause, but the only task he would undertake was reminding people to like and share.  No permits applied for, no entertainment booked, no vendors rounded up = no benefit. 

I view the like button here and the one on Facebook as entirely different things. Weird, I am.

I guess I am one of the few who likes the "like" button on here. I appreciate that many people read posts on here but don't post themselves - and some of those people will use the "like" button. I see it more of a way to appreciate what someone has said, rather than a replacement for words. I use it  because I think its nice to acknowledge people's thoughts, and sometimes I don't have the words to express myself. I also appreciate it that readers "like" posts, rather than reading and doing nothing. I am not insulted if my posts aren't acknowledged with a "like"....Just a different point of view.