When did I become such a hermit?

Quixote

Three hours ago, friend calls me up to let me know she's got a couple of extra tickets to a concert down at the Hollywood Bowl, invites me and anyone else I want to take along to meet her and three other of my friends downtown at this nice hotel.  Think they're all settled in at the hot tub while I'm typing this.

I say yes, go home, take a nap and can't bring myself to go.  Fib and beg off, claiming a headache.  Waste of two fairly sought after tickets, dang it all. 

What the heck is wrong with me?  Maybe it's because I used to go to concerts all the time with my wife and it just feels weird to go by myself (I'd be the only uncoupled one there, if that's a word).  Or maybe, I just hate the thought of being in a large energetic crowd.  It's been four years, and honestly, other than horse shows and tournaments, I hardly ever go out and do stuff any more.  I think it's just getting worse.

I dunno.  Maybe in four more years I'll start to feel normal.  Or just stay up in the mountains and let my beard grow long.  One or the other, I guess.

Ironically, I am literally in the process of backing out of an invite to an art show. In my defense, I am coming down with a sinus infection but the timing couldn't be better. I have a really difficult time trying to socialize with people. I feel so pathetic. These days, I find it difficult just going to the grocery store....sigh.

I'm with Linda, the invites don't roll in anymore and at this point I'm still not great at planning things myself.

Sometimes the social things I'm dreading the most end up going pretty well if I force myself to go. Jt I usually have an exit strategy so I don't get trapped anywhere.

I like the idea of having an exit strategy, Trying.  There's been occasions where I get out and I'm totally "I need to go home.  Now."  Like the meme says, I've become the type of guy who goes to a party and hangs out with the dog.