Helping Others

Mac

Guest TheOtherHalf

There are lots of ways to help. Some people quietly help out, day to day, here and there, when they can. Some are never recognized for what they give, and still others, never seek that recognition, and still others not only don't seek the recognition, but truly do derive as much from giving as receiving. How is giving measured, and why does it become politicized?

Giving is one of those really powerful topics I guess. I'd put it right up there with sex.

Part of my addiction recovery is thru service to others. I have found having one or two charities/groups I work with helps me. Yesterday was actually international survivor of suicide day and we had events around the state. Even though I really didn't want to devote 4 hours of my Sat-and I admit I was mentally drained-I enjoyed being the facilitator for the "loss of a spouse forum"--I feel like I need to give back-Also with RX drug abuse volunteering.

My 12 year old does local fundraising for mission groups in Haiti and volunteers for special Olympics thru our youth group. He bitches and moans but is always nicer and more thoughtful after he's done it.

I don't volunteer at school or church-Just help where I feel called.

I think it keeps us balanced. In moderation.

Guest TooSoon

We're volunteering helping Syrian  refugees  resettle in our town.  We have the third largest Syrian community in America.  My husband was a second generation Syrian-American. You are right, Mac.  Giving back helps to put it all into perspective.