Scared of self harming

Guest DebW

I haven't posted for a while but today something happened that freaked me out.

My kids are difficult, they are 9 & 10 and I am having ongoing issues with them since their dad died 7 months ago. We are getting family therapy and I am trying to gain back some control in the house.

It is summer holidays here so we have been spending a lot of time together. This morning I took them out for a walk and lunch at a cafe, I was hoping for a nice day but as usually happens my daughter ruined it with her sulking when she didn't get her own way. I get called dumb, stupid, mean, worst mum in the world etc. so we come home and I look around at my pigsty of a house, everything that needs doing before work tomorrow and the fact that their shit is everywhere, they never pick up anything or do one fucking thing to help me. So I just lost my shit, screamed at them and sobbed and cursed my husband for leaving me in this crappy life. I felt like I was going to absolutely lose control and then I grabbed a knife from the drawer and drew it across my arm three times, not a deep cut but enough to draw blood. It didn't hurt and I couldn't really say why I did it but it has scared me that I would even think or do this to myself. I am scared of it happening again.

Deb, I mean this gently but firmly:

Get yourself in front of someone that can help you - a trusted friend, doctor, priest or close relative, and let them know what is going on.

I'm certain you know it is not healthy to have thoughts of harming yourself. I imagine it all feels overwhelming right now so reach out to someone else that can help talk you through it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Best wishes - Mike