When to remove spouse from social media

sdarrah1130

I don't know if this question has been posted somewhere else so I am throwing it out there.

February 26, 2016 will mark 1 year since E has been gone.  Many of my family members and friends have asked if will be closing his FB account. 

Has anyone done this?  I have his sign-on and password and am sure I could close the account.  I am just not sure if I want to.

Any suggestions or thoughts on the subject.

Thanks, 

I don't have a FB but still look at LW's to keep up since we knew almost all the same people. Even though I posted pics of our grave marker for her distant family to see, some of her not so close FB "friends" still wish her a happy birthday  :-\ If I ever move on with someone it may be interesting to see if her FB could be a problem.

There's a way to put their FB page onto memorial status. That's what I did a couple years ago. That way people can still visit and post on their page and see his old posts and pictures. But you won't get updates like if it's their birthday, and you can't log into their account anymore.

I memorialized DH's page so people can still see it and post to it, but no one has posted in at least a year now. Every now and then I think about deactivating the page, but with it memorialized, it isn't so bad. I don't keep getting notices of dates and such, and if his friends want to read, they can. I figure I'll leave it up until someone tells me it bothers them, and then I can request FB to remove it.

They might be asking because he's popping up in their notifications and that can be unsettling.

Give it some real thought before memorializing it. That can't be undone and if there are messages or other things that are important to you, you will lose access to them. If you go that route, download it (it comes in a zip form though that can change the format) or copy the things you don't want to part with.

Basically, it's up to you to decide. If you aren't sure or don't feel ready, don't do anything. Others will simply have to deal and it's okay to tell people that you haven't decided what to do or you aren't ready. It's not their call.

I made the mistake of memorializing my Kenneth's Facebook page, but I sincerely wish that I had just left it as it was. It was my understanding that his page would show that he was married to me, once I memorialized the page, but it didn't. Now his page just says married, but doesn't say to whom. It kills me every time I see it, and with our anniversary coming up in less than a week, it is bothering me far more than it did before. Had I left his Facebook page alone, without memorializing it, I could have gone in and set his status the way I wanted it, to show he was my husband.