Disheartening Day at school...

rememberingjason

As a teacher I try my best to be good to my students, help them whenever I can, and teach them to the best of my ability. Today I was so excited...after 15 years I got a whole classroom of new desks. Mine were pathetic and I was so excited my students would have clean, comfortable desks. During the transition, apparently, one of them stole my car/house keys out of my bag. When I realized what had happened about 15 min before school was out ...I was asked by my AP "What do you want me to do?" I felt so betrayed not only by the student who took from me, but I also felt betrayed by the administrator who was supposed to protect me.  Here I am no keys to my car or home...and all he could say was What do you want me to do.

It breaks my heart to think how a middle school can be such a bad place to be...I know I work in a tough area and I have been there a long time...but for some reason today...I felt unsafe...I feel like my car can be stolen, my house invaded, and I am disheartened.

(2 weeks ago a former student shot a classmate 2 houses from my school....they were 16)

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.... I feel like no one understands how unsafe I feel at this moment...Jason is gone, no one to protect me, it just feels very lonely.

I am so sorry that happened to you on a day that could have been so nice with the new desks

I haven't had my keys stolen but I have had those feeling of feeling very vulnerable and afraid

and it so brings up the loss of the men who used to protect us then leading us to the loneliness

I hope the rest of the day and night got better

I am a teacher and know that feeling well. It's a double whammy. You feel betrayed by student that you've been working with, and  for me the offence seems highly personal. And then there is the hassle of locating other keys and that wondering whether your locks should  be changed.( i never did and nothing happened) Anyway just know it has happens to others(as you can see) so  just providing a bit of empathy.

I'm so sorry to hear about how both your students and your administrator acted!  DH wanted to be a teacher and spent most of our relationship chipping away at a teaching degree.  When he died he was student teaching a high school class in a very rough area of the city and the stories he would come home with would fill me with equal parts pity and rage. 

People like you and my Tim were and are saints.  It's such a tough job and the people who devote their lives to helping raise and educate the coming generations deserve nothing but the highest praise and respect.  Again, I'm just so sorry :(