FAFSA Question

First Widow

I have googled and googled and I'm just not finding clarification on how to fill out the FAFSA for the newly widowed.  I followed the directions and gave them the exact numbers from my projected tax filing, but one of my son's potential schools asked me to update the FAFSA and omit any earnings that my husband made prior to his death in 2015.  Is this really okay to do?  It's not the only school he's applied to and it is a federal form so it seems wrong to omit earnings that will be included on my tax forms.  I did email FAFSA but it blows my mind that I can't find an easy answer.  Maybe I'm suffering a widow mind block??

Guest TooSoon

The FAFSA deadline has been extended (I read about it yesterday).  I also have no answers but if your child has already been admitted to or is already enrolled at a college or university, I would make an appointment with the financial aid office there and go in in person (the key words here being in person) with your questions.  I work at a University and while they might only help begrudgingly, that is what they are there to do.  Sadly, we have to advocate for ourselves and our children because the system as it stands now is not designed to help us. 

Here's the reply I got in case it helps anyone else:

Thank you for your inquiry about federal student aid.

If a student?s parent is deceased when the student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA?), the student should provide information only for the surviving parent. No information?including name, Social Security number and date of birth?should be reported for the deceased parent.

Even if the parents filed a joint income tax return, the student should provide financial information only for the surviving parent. The student should report the information as if the parent had filed a separate return. However, if the surviving parent has remarried, the stepparent?s financial information is required.