Thanks to Jess & team for this board ? can it really be a year this week-end?

Suki1

Hard to believe that a year has passed since that amazing week-end a year ago (March 7-8, 2015) when a handful of fast-moving and can-do members of YWBB rescued us from that board's demise. Thank you so much, Jess and your team, for creating this "new" board, and for your on-going work on our behalf.

I have to add my heartfelt gratitude, as well. As many of you know, I was particularly traumatized by the closing of the old board, as it coincided with the final week counting down to the one year anniversary of my Kenneth's death. Had it not been for the incredible efforts of Jess and the rest of the team here, and for their quick action in getting this board up and running, I truly do not think I could have managed to get through in one piece. You all were there, when I truly NEEDED you, and I have no words to even begin to describe what you did for me. Even now, when I think of that week, I am filled with tears of thankfulness; and I shall forever be grateful to you.

Thank you all for your kind words! I have been thinking a lot about the past year and the beginning of this space, which wouldn't be possible without Lewis. When YWBB shut down without warning, I felt helpless and angry. It was one more bit of something I needed being ripped away without warning. The loss of my husband was unexpected and I was set adrift. Finding the community saved me in so many ways. It made me feel that I was not crazy, which was really what I needed more than anything. It brought so many special people into my life that I count as friends. It also gave me the love of my new life. It was unacceptable to lose the community that gave me all of that, so it was that sort of anger that made me do a stupid thing and set up a sort of muster point that weekend. In hindsight, I have no idea what the hell I was thinking, but it will never be something I regret.

That weekend was crazy with little sleep, tons of messages, members of the community tirelessly taking to PMs to spread the word, and people stepping up to volunteer to help or stepping in when asked. Poor Justin got roped into all this as a co-admin and never complained. We knew the new home wasn't the best option, but we were unsure what to do, which was a bit scary because we didn't want to let anyone down. Then came Lewis with this wonderful site which could be the permanent home we all needed. A year later, here we still are. We lost a lot of history and that will always hurt my heart so deeply, but we are starting to build our own here with tens of thousands of posts already and that is incredible.

So, while I appreciate the shout out, it really needs to be given to so many others. Lewis and Justin as administrators, present and past moderators (Jen, Bluebird, Baylee, Wifeless, MrsT85, Shelby, and Lisa), the group of members that spread the word via PM, and every member of this community that with every post builds a resource for those new to this journey that need to know this is so incredibly hard, painful, and ugly but it IS survivable,  and even if it isn't very pretty there can be beautiful moments of triumph, rebirth, and happiness. That resource saved me and I hope it continues to the same for others.

Thank you all.

I still remember that Friday afternoon: it was getting close to 5PM (quitting time) and I logged into YWBB for some last minute catch-up before I left work and went home to do my fatherly duties. I saw the message that YWBB was shutting down and felt just like the rug had been pulled out from underneath me. I recall that Jess was having a rough day and either left work early or worked from home that day... I called her as I left my office and told her the terrible news that YWBB was shutting down. We simply couldn't believe it! My lifeline that had kept me sane when I felt crazy, gave friendship went I felt alone, and comfort in the middle of the night would be no more. More importantly, it was already a very sentimental place for me where I had met many of you, my best widower pal & mentor, and my true love Jess.

Now, I know I am biased but if you weren't already aware: Jess loves and is extremely dedicated to our community. I have a short commute home of about 15 minutes. In the time it took me to drive home, I had phoned Jess, informed her of the closure of YWBB, and she had already set up the first iteration of Widda on the Proboards site. (Some of you may remember that we rallied that first weekend on our interim forum before coming here.) I recall working in shifts with Jess that first weekend round the clock, and have the distinct memory of begging her to get some food Saturday afternoon, as she hadn't eaten since early on Friday. She agreed to take a few minutes to procure take-out after I reassured her about 4 times that I would mind things while she was away. (A big shout-out to my kid H, who understood what YWBB meant to her dad and was super-understanding that weekend.) Jess gives me a lot of credit, but really it was just a case of a man supporting the vision of the woman he loves. And maintaining the to-do list ;-)

While Proboards provided a quick set-up for us to muster, we realized soon that we would need a permanent home. Out of nowhere (to us) appeared Lewis, who had already registered the domain name of Widda and set up the framework of the forum that we are all using now. A true beam of light in the dark. Lewis trusted us completely and turned over the keys to Jess and myself to drive things, while he is the mechanic that keeps things running so smoothly here. So smoothly that we are almost not aware of what he actually does.

And many, many of you guys are to thank for our success here as well. So many "old-timers" who weren't that active at the time came back to help get things started here, as well as many of "my class" who stepped up to help mod the forums,  and those members who got the word out to their contacts through other channels like texting and Facebook. I really can't thank all of you enough.

What an amazing job Jess, Justin and then Lewis did that weekend one year ago. To put this site together in such a short span of time was incredible. Thank you for your initiative, dedication, and all your hard work. Thank you, also, to those who spread the word so that no former YWBB member would be left hanging with no place to go. The extraordinary efforts you all contributed have made such a difference in the lives of many who travel this sad path of widowhood.

--- WifeLess

thank you so much for caring enough to get this board up

and working so hard

this place has been a life saver to me 

I don't know what I would do with out it and I don't say that lightly

Thank you Jess, Justin and Lewis !

Thank you, Lewis! And thank you, Jess and Justin, for letting us know about Lewis. And also for filling us in a little more about that wild and crazy week-end. It was the middle of the night when I discovered that YWBB was to be no more, and I wondered how I would survive without it. Thanks again to everyone who has made our new board possible.

Wow, thanks for the shout out. I will be the first to say that the board would be impossible without Jess and Justin and the Team. I remember the heartbreak at the news that the old site would be shutting down. Thinking about how much the site helped me through my loss and the great friends that came from it, I just knew I couldn't just sit back and do nothing.

Trying to contact the old site owners proved to be useless, so I proceeded to work on widda.org. I had no ending plan but knew I just needed to get the site up and running. My poor wife and kids didn't see me all weekend as all my attention was focused on getting the site ready.

Once the site was completed, I sat back and looked at it wondering "now what?" Holy cow what do I do with this?? I was referred to the proboards site and and saw that I knew and even met some of the moderators at bagos. It was a no-brainer as I offered them this site as a permanent home. Jess and Justin and the team have done a great job! In fact they give me too much credit. They are on the site constantly making sure new registrants get quick responses and making sure things are running smoothly with everyone. I appreciate their dedication as they work together so well.

I also want to mention that there were several people that donated money to help pay for the site! Word got out that I was paying for things myself and immediately I started getting donations. That is so much appreciated!! With the money I am able to secure the webserver hosting and add needed modifications to the site.

Hearing how much the site means to everyone really makes me smile. Thanks everyone! I hope you get as much out of this community as I have!