Prince

MrsDan

I have felt next to nothing when people have died after Dan died. My grandmother. Various aunts and uncles. But I cried today. I'm a little surprised at how shaken I am. I shouldn't be surprised I guess since I've been a huge Prince fan as long as I can remember. Maybe it reflects the huge impact he had on my life, maybe it means I'm starting to really be able to feel something besides grief over Dan again. Maybe it's both.

"Sometimes It Snows in April"

Tracy died soon after a long fought civil war,

Just after I'd wiped away his last tear

I guess he's better off than he was before,

A whole lot better off than the fools he left here

I used to cry for Tracy because he was my only friend

Those kind of cars don't pass you every day

I used to cry for Tracy because I wanted to see him again,

But sometimes sometimes life ain't always the way

Sometimes it snows in April

Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad

Sometimes I wish life was never ending,

And all good things, they say, never last

Springtime was always my favorite time of year,

A time for lovers holding hands in the rain

Now springtime only reminds me of Tracy's tears

Always cry for love, never cry for pain

He used to say so strong unafraid to die

Unafraid of the death that left me hypnotized

No, staring at his picture I realized

No one could cry the way my Tracy cried

Sometimes I feel so bad

Sometimes, sometimes I wish that life was never ending,

And all good things, they say, never last

I often dream of heaven and I know that Tracy's there

I know that he has found another friend

Maybe he's found the answer to all the April snow

Maybe one day I'll see my Tracy again

Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad

Sometimes I wish that life was never ending,

But all good things, they say, never last

All good things that say, never last

And love, it isn't love until it's past

-Prince

My late wife was a really big Prince fan, and so is DD. It was a real gut-punch to me daughter upon hearing of his death, and she was in a sad mood this morning.

For the first few months after Marsha's death, "Purple Rain" seemed to be playing on heavy rotation in the strangest of places. Three months out, DD and I were on Bourbon St. in New Orleans and a bar band was blasting an awesome cover of it out into the street through open doors and windows. A man was playing a chest-mounted washboard for tips, along to the band. It was a very cool, very surreal moment in which we felt like Marsha was saying "It's going to be okay" to us.

MrsDan, thank you for posting those lyrics.  I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know nearly as much about Prince as I should, but knowing what a musical genius he was and how much he influenced many of my own favorites I still felt a lot of sadness and shock upon hearing of his death yesterday.  But now that so many personal tributes are coming in - the sadness is starting to settle in more deeply.  I cried a little when I read the lyrics you posted this morning.  The month of April is such a motherfucker, now for one more reason...

I felt the same way when David Bowie died in January.  He was the first person who I cried over since losing Tim.

I live in the suburbs of MN so everyone here is taking it extremely hard. It's been on the radio non-stop and our news broadcasts are all Prince. I enjoyed some of his songs, nothing that was particularly dear to me though.

I went to college not far from his home. One time in we were out (a carful of girls) and the driver had the bright idea to try to get into Paisley Park. It didn't go so well and the security guys said turn right around. That's my main Prince related memory, other than "1999" being played constantly at the turn of the century. (Gosh that makes me sound old, lol).

It was 10 yrs for me on 4/10 which was really hard for me, and the 31st anniv of our first date (we were only 16), on 4/20.  I am also remarried now, for almost 3 yrs.

The Prince thing hit me incredibly hard.  "Purple Rain" was the very first gift I ever bought DH, when we were 16.  I cried so much that day I heard he died, and on the way home when a station played a medley of his tunes I literally bawled the entire time in my car alone. So much sentimental stuff there.  It's been a really hard month.

Hugs.