it can happen

maddalena

you know, my husband and i had such a good thing. he was funny, he was bright, he was thoughtful, he was loving, he was proud of me, he was supportive. He was such a great man, even now, almost 3 years since he died, people are still talking about him. He affected so many peoples' lives, and not just in our family.

But you all know i have a new guy. He's not as witty or clever, he's not as thoughtful. But he has a way  of soothing, of caressing my heart, that my dear husband never even thought of doing. Please don't get me wrong, my DH, he was so good to me, and he loved me with all of his heart (and I him) but new guy, he's got something else.

he IS something else.

I will never have what I had with my first love, but what I have with my second is just as unique. Is it better? probably not, is it not as good? probably not. It's really hard to quantify.

just thought you all should know.  My dh made pies, and since Pi day was Saturday, everyone was talking about him. and pie. New guy found it amazing that he was so popular. He said "when I die, there just aren't going to be that many people that talk about me."  and I agreed.  He's not bigger than life. If anything, he's understated.

they're so different. I'm glad i didn't look for a guy just like DH... there's a whole world out there, guys..

the cats did really well at his house.  Towards the end of my stay, my one cat who is a bit nervous was actually doing better at his house than she had anywhere for years. They all accepted him. THey REALLY like him!!!

The bird liked the cats in one respect. He's been alone too much in his life; so he tends to start screaming for attention when no one is in the room. Sometimes one of my cats would howl when he started screaming.

Then the bird would shut up.

Also, the cats liked to sit next to his cage and look out the window. That small amount of company actually soothed the bird and he did a lot less screaming when we (me and the cats) were around.

so. all my fears were for naught.  The only bad part was that he didn't let his bird out of its cage as much as he liked because it was a hassle to lock all the cats up while the bird had freedom. because the bird has all its wing feathers, he can just decide to fly off a shoulder and then down to where he might encounter a predatory cat. so we just didn't let him out much for the whole time i was there.

So happy it all worked out.  I know EXACTLY what you mean about your different loves.Both wonderful,unique-just different. Sometimes I thought in the beginning I knew exactly what I was looking for in a man.  Turned out to be a bit different from my list but still exactly what I wanted. If that makes any sense at all.

Pat

Guest Mel4072

I know what you mean too. Different. There's no way to compare. People are unique and have their own gifts to offer. I think we can be appreciative of what each individual person offers. And what the new love offers is more than enough.

Guest Kamcho

Mimster, I am honored that you have shared your story of Ch.2 with us, and I have cheered you and your new guy every step of the way.

I remember when you were skeptical of falling in love again. I'm so freaking happy for you.

I really like this.  I am not too hopeful that I will find love again. It was so hard to give myself the first time, he worked so hard to let me know he loved me.  It was so special and I am still not sure I ever want to be with someone else, probably because even after 2.5 years I still feel married.  But I like the reality of what you said and if I ever do have feelings for someone, I will keep your words in the back of my mind.