Signs From Your Loved One

AubreeAnn, I can't say these signs have necessarily improved my faith, which has morphed into a different belief system than the traditional one I grew up in. What they have done is helped me to realize that my husband is still with me, aware of what is happening in our lives, in the only way he can be in his now non-physical form. For me these signs have primarily been through small white butterflies and music. The first butterfly encounter happened within days of his death. It was late March and much too chilly and soon for butterflies in my area. As I walked to the end of the driveway to get my mail, this white butterfly kept fluttering around my face. I was actually batting it away as it seemed to want to land on my face. I told a friend about it later that day. She asked me if I knew the connection between white butterflies and the recently deceased, which I did not. I spent some time looking it up and saw many people believe it to be a sign from their deceased loved ones.

In the past three years, I have had several seemingly unlikely encounters with white butterflies. One happened in the middle of a rainstorm in which butterflies are not usually out as their light bodies can be injured by the force of a raindrop. There have been several others times I have felt sure were signs as well as they happened at times I was under great stress.

I have also experienced some amazingly timed musical songs or lyrics. One night, the radio station played a songlist that was basically a private playlist of all the songs I recall from when we started dating. It was extraordinary. When they played REO Speedwagon's "Roll with the Changes", (yes, I'm an older, younger widow), I really felt the chorus was my husband telling me it was time for me to deal with the changes from losing him. It was a strong sensation, but I wondered if I was dreaming it up in my head. The next song they played was "Listen to the Music". It just all really felt to connect.

I realize some people believe these aren't truly signs and are my own imagination or desires being assigned to coincidences. While I am typically skeptical of things, I fully believe these have been signs to keep me going and to encourage me to start trying to build a new life. I fully believe at some point we'll be reunited again, but I still have to live until then. If I am wrong and there is nothing after this life, then there will be no disappointment.

I think it is not uncommon for people's faith to become complicated upon experiencing a significant loss.

Sending you hugs...