Boyfriend in the ER last night

MrsDan

And I have been trying not to freak out. We went to his mom's for dinner. He and I were watching TV with my DD, and he mentioned that he was cold. He is NEVER cold. As DD and I were getting ready to leave, he went out side to warm up. I hugged him and he felt warm, I asked if he felt okay and he said no, quite emphatically.

When I got home his mom called saying that he had a fever, so I called him. He said he would go to the doctor in the morning. But about an hour later the fever still wasn't down, it was a little higher so his mom, a retired nurse, took him to the ER.

His pulse was high, and his bp slightly high. I asked her to keep me updated and she did, for the most part, but I woke up around 1:30 and hadn't heard anything so I texted. She said she didn't want to wake me, but they thought he was dehydrated, did labs to see if it was a bacterial infection and it wasn't. He texted at 4, saying he was home.

I am really freaked out. Having a 4 year old at home, I couldn't go to him. And while he understood my need for updates, I'm not sure his mom did, and I tried to be careful in explaining that to her, but I couldn't say, you know, "my husband, and many husbands of widows I know went to the ER for a minor issue and then died, so I'm really worried about that happening to your son." He was just really sick a couple weeks ago. I've encountered people widowed by the flu. He's 34 and only slightly overweight, but we all know what can happen. I just really want to see him, but I also don't want to disturb him this morning.

Guest TooSoon

I'm relieved to hear things seem to have stabilized.  I would have been a fucking mess.  xoxo

Just got a text from his mom. She said he did not seem better but they sent him home because his fever was down. She made a doctor's appointment for him this afternoon. She said he did not want calls so I texted him. But I AM a fucking mess. I am so scared right now.

Prayers and hopes that he'll be okay & this will soon pass! I'd be a mess too, Mrs. Dan.

I'd want all the updates possible, as well. It sounds like his mom is well-meaning enough, but, no,  most probably can't really grasp the importance of those updates to you based on being widowed.

Again, prayers and hopes for his well-being, as well as peace of mind for you!

Oh huge hugs, and I think I would just go ahead and freak out. This is the only thing in the world that I just cannot keep my cool about.

Any chance you can go to the Doctor with him? Having all the available information and not getting it second hand later from him or his mom might help your fears a bit.

We will be thinking of you - and of him as well.

He is at the doctor's office now. I spoke to his mother and she said she is not worried but she understands that this is hard for me. I made arrangements for DD and am waiting near his house to get word. I know he doesn't want to get me sick but I am losing my mind right now.

He's home and I'm with him. Fever seems to be down. Doctor thinks it's viral. I feel like it might seem like I'm a little crazy but. When Dan went to the doctor we thought it was a minor issue. Four days later he was gone.

Guest TooSoon

I'm relieved to know you're together and the fever is down.  You are not in any way crazy - it is natural, after everything, to have a panicked response.  I would have been right there, too.  Speedy recovery and lots of love. 

I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better and that you're able to be with him.  After what we have all been through, I also completely understand how our immediate thoughts take us back to that unimaginable pain of losing our loved ones.  I can't tell you the number of times I have had panicked reactions to unknown situations with my NH, only to be reassured that he's okay. 

Sending prayers for continued healing for your sweet guy!