Anxiety

sikeuritgadeun

I've been having so much anxiety and panic attacks lately.  I am trying hard to get things under control.  I am glad I am able to come here and let things out.  Thanks for this site and to all who understand what we go through being widowed.  I have no one in my life to talk with so I am glad to be here.  :)

Hi, sikeuritgadeun,

Welcome to our forum.  I'm sorry you had to join this club, but glad you found a place where you can feel at home.

I developed significant panic and anxiety after the death of my second husband.  His death was unexpected and I felt as if the rug had been pulled out from under me.  I also had medical issues that started less than 2 weeks after he died, leading to surgery and a cancer diagnosis.  My doctors were very kind to me throughout this process, and I tried several medications to try to manage the anxiety.  Most of them were not tolerated because of side effects.  After a year, I decided to get a service dog, and after that, the severity of my symptoms improved significantly.  I still take a short-acting medication to help me shut off my brain when I go to bed at night.  I still have triggers that impact me, but I manage them better and I can often remove myself from those triggers and restore some semblance of emotional control.  Again, my dog really helps me.  If I need it, I can also take short acting medication in a pinch, but I try not to do that.  For one, I have been advised not to drive while taking it. 

I don't know how far out you are or where you live, but it has always been helpful to meet others who have walked this path.  Don't be afraid to reach out to others or look in the widowbago section to see if there is one near you.  If not, consider asking if others are in your area and you can meet up with others who have been where you are now.

Hugs,

Maureen

Thank you Wheelerswife,  I do take something for the anxiety but things have been rough lately.  I have social anxiety too and it's hard for me to join any groups.  Coming here is even hard.  I am glad that getting a dog has helped you.  Thanks again for your advice and good luck to you.

I also have suffered from extreme anxiety and panic attacks since the death of my husband, exacerbated by a serious medical crisis and being hit by a drink driver head-on which my children and I were lucky to have survived. I am sorry you are suffering with the anxiety, because it feels terrible. Being a part of this community has been really helpful for me. I hope it will be for you as well.

Sending you a hug of understanding...