Sleep???

Having the worst time staying asleep - wake up and start to cry, or my mind just runs. Tried ambien but still wake up. Tried small amount of trazedone, terrible dreams and kind of an icky wakeful sleep. No way does melatonin do it. Any tips? Miserable and tired...

Hi Merle,

I think for the first month I just dealt with the lack of sleep or strange sleep patterns. I didn't want any drugs in the house that I could possibly overdose on (I was pretty fragile). So I just accepted I couldn't sleep and moved through it. I was shitty at work. For some reason though, I wasn't as tired as I thought I would be because I couldn't sleep even if I try.

Now I sleep better two and a half months out, but I still can't get to bed on time. In other words, I dread going to bed and having that time before sleep when I think of him.

I guess I'm not helping. But you aren't alone in this.

Laura

Hi Merle;

I had the same issues.  I tried ambien, melatonin etc.  Most over the counter drugs gave me multi coloured dreams.  I hated them all.  I ended up having to get a prescription from my doctor. 

He took a day or so researching which one he liked for me.  I didn't end up finishing the prescription as my sleep pattern returned to somewhat normal before it was over. 

I have to wind myself down in order to sleep. I get into bed about an hour before I'd ideally like to be asleep. I read to tire out my eyes, crochet until it tires me out, or sometimes I look for a less than exciting show on tv and it puts me to sleep. It's been working mostly but I am a light sleeper so I wake up randomly.

I could fall asleep well enough in the first month, but I woke up at 2, 3, 4 and 5 o' clock.... Not exactly well rested the next day.

Tried a few medicines, they had no effect whatsoever.

It improved over the course of the second month... Now at almost 3 months out, I sleep ok.

I guess only time works...

Practiced meditation. Bought a fur rug like one I had as a child so i could stroke it and calm myself down - psychologist suggested a teddy bear. Reading books about grief and crying it out to exhaustion and sleep. Cat purring beside me. Found a good therapist. (These are only my good suggestions - i trialed ambien, alcohol, xanax etc too) But it tooks months and months and months. Just learnt to live on less sleep, not worry when i wasn't sleeping, and appreciating the sleep when i got it.

• 2 weeks later...