Dating safety

Guest nonesuch

I think it's a great idea.  I work in IT and online sites, in my opinion, are very helpful in connecting to others when it's not necessarily possible or convenient to meet someone other ways.  But one should be very aware that fraudsters are out there as well as folks who are eager to engage in activities that are inconsistent with what you are looking for in terms of a relationship.  Take it slow, keep communication on the site so it can be monitored, don't share personal information too soon and NEVER help anyone out financially.

Guest nonesuch

Meet in public. Drive your own car.  Do not get into a stranger's car.

Tell someone about your date and arrange for a safety call.

Do not be lured into communicating off the dating site early on.  Once someone has a "real" email address for you, it's easier to find information about you. 

Make sure the pictures posted coincide with what the profile says. (Dim photos inside a mobile home =/= "Loves to travel"  Pictures in front of pyramids = "loves to travel.")

You may google someone's name, or an email address.  You may ask if someone has a Linkedin profile, too.

Stay sober.

No one needs your money more than you do.

Someone who says "I'll move anywhere for Miss/Mr. Right" may be a loner with no ties.  This is a red flag.  Or he may be setting you up to ask for money - to move.

Protecting your time:  In my experience, someone who writes, "We should get to know one another through email" has no intentions to meet.