Night terror

Now a days I can actually fall asleep easier at night.  The only problem is I get up feeling horrible in the middle of the night.  Sometimes I feel paralyzed with dread. Same thing happens when I wake up every morning.  Anyone have ideas on how to calm down or work through these really bad times?

My advice is probably flawed, and I think everyone here knows the nighttime thing lasts at least months on end. I had to wear myself out physically and drink before I went to sleep so I wouldn't wake up in the middle of the night. Morning time was still a big flashback though, reliving nightmares and reality. What I did was unhealthy and habit forming, I think only time eases the dread of night. Exercise is good though. I never could do it for it's own sake, a goal was needed. A lot has been written on this forum about setting and accomplishing goals, and that must be key. Start small, and I wish you and everyone a good nights sleep.

I needed anxiety medication to go to sleep at night.  I couldn't turn my head off.  I would get panic attacks just setting my head on the pillow.  I would wake up in panic also. 

My dog has helped considerably as well.

I had never dealt with panic and anxiety until the unexpected death of my second husband.  I've learned that one never knows what the experience will be like...for yourself, or anyone else...until you experience loss personally.

Hugs,

Maureen

For Christmas my MIL got me a weighted blanket and it has made an insane difference.  They are expensive but I am telling you it makes a giant difference.  I wish I had it in the earlier days.  It is the closest thing I have felt to being wrapped in his arms again!