The New Now Friday Nights

sojourner

My "Before...,"  Friday nights were a big couples night for the "us" we used to be.  My earliest Friday nights "after" were just waiting for the earliest chance to go to bed to get the night over with, frankly. Just short of 3 and a half years after being with him for his last morning in this world, I'm starting to have a little more free weekend energy and time to figure out who I am now, and what to do with my time (when I'm not dealing with an outbreak of teen trauma/drama).

For me, it's actually something that's built on an appreciation my LH had for old-school black and white movies, '30's to '50's.  It started with his thing for old classic WW2 wartime films like Casa Blanca that he introduced to me. He grew up in the cornfields outside Chicago, so he also gifted me with an appreciation for a dang good sharp horn line in jazz along with some deep bass in the blues that he was exposed to. We met and married in St. Louis, and had many good nights out for the music, and good nights in with the old school movies.

So, now, for "just" me  :-\ , I've discovered this treasure trove of reeeealy schlocky old time sci-fi movies on a streaming service that I'm really enjoying. Granted, in that era, there can be some really obnoxious racism/sexism type stuff going on, yet there can be some compelling views of the future as well. It was an era on the bridge between horse and buggy days, and missions to space. The "impossible" things that actually happened in those days! Can we even imagine?!

So as I/we rebuild, beyond what we knew, or thought we knew, I guess for me, I'm appreciating the imaginative leaps into the future these old movies represent, and how they tie together my "old days" and what my future may bring.

So, that's my new Friday night thing, I guess!  Maybe not fabulously exciting, but improving from going to bed at 7 or 8 just to get the evening over with.

Anybody can feel free to add any New Now Friday night things they might have! (My feature film this evening, btw, was Cat-Women of the Moon! Good stuff! ;))

I have a young son but used to go crazy staying home Friday nights after being used to having that as my date night with LH.  After a while of being widowed, I would find a babysitter so I could get out with male or female friends on Fri night. Now I've gone full circle and am often home with my young son on Friday night - that's movie night for the two of us now (we pull out the couch, get lots of blankets and eat in bed with snacks and watch a movie together). Once he goes to bed, I have "me" time and my new Fri night consists of reading a good book, pouring over new recipe books, getting a workout in and then watching a movie in bed (chick flicks mainly), sometimes with a glass of wine or sangria : )