changing kids names

imissdow

My 2 older DD"s are now 18 and 16.  I divorced their dad when they were 4&2. He has been aware yet uninvolved  for most of the last 8 years.  He occasionally sees them and calls to talk at them maybe once a month. They never spent overnights with him he only ever saw them for a few hours at a time even when he was involved.  They have his phone number but for the most part don't want to be bothered with him.  Yesterday they both told me they wish to change thieri last name. They would like to hyphenate thier bio-dads name with my DH's name.  Apparently the older DD had said something to bio-dad years ago about doing this and he hit the roof.  This time he might be willing to let them.  He really can't stop the older one but he could make things difficult for the younger one.  I asked them why they wanted to do this and both girls had the same answer.  DH was more of a dad then Bio-dad and so we think we should have his name. I suspect that once they have done this they will slowly stop using bio-dads name and just introduce themselves using DH's name.  They will need to do legal stuff using both.  Although I am surprised I think it speaks volumes about who DH was and the influence he had and is still having on my girls.  I was lucky to have him in my life for the short 6 years we were married.