money issues with recoupling

klim

And maybe that is the point that makes me feel differently about insurance. We worked hard and lived frugally so we could feel secure. The money we saved went into investments. That was our insurance.

We knew that our basic needs would be covered......being Canadian medical needs are looked after. our house was almost paid...we knew we would be fine.

Yes, klim you bring up a good point. For those of us to your south in the US, insurance is a real thing. I just became full time with my university and spent today cancelling the 'insurance' that I have been paying out of pocket. It is horribly expensive to be healthy in the US ... don't get sick for sure.

• 1 month later...

I look at insurance as legalized gambling.  You're betting you'll need it.  Insurance is betting your premium can be invested at a profit before you file a claim. Real glad I've had insurance for my car, both when I wrecked one, and when the parking lot flooded this spring, and I wondered if the current one was [soggy] toast.   Life insurance could be really important if one had children to provide for, or a mortgage the spouse couldn't pay.