Cat didn't go to shelter after all....

ThalginsLuv

So why didn't cat go to shelter?

I felt good about this shelter after I researched it and was comforted by their staff.

I was happy that it was a no kill facility.

I had the appointment.

I had all of the cat's things packed.

I had my oldest daughter feeling good about cat being adopted to a new home.

I even had a babysitter for the girls so I could handle this on my own.

So I drive up to the shelter and noticed that it was a pretty busy place. There were several people going in without animals. That told me they were looking to adopt! I was feeling better by the second. And then I walked in... THE EMPLOYEES WERE CRYING! They couldn't take my cat because they had just found out this morning that they were being SHUT DOWN and they would be permanently closed by 4 pm TODAY. The employees didn't even know until today. They were scrambling to find homes for all their animals as fast as possible. Any animal not adopted out today were going to the county shelter where they euthanize. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen to cat. The whole thing was just awful.

So I drive away and park somewhere and just started bawling. Seriously how can I take this cat back to my place? What do I tell my 10 year old? "Oh, just kidding, but I really am getting rid of cat. Sorry to screw with you kiddo."  I just can't handle this animal any more. I can't have her going to the bathroom on the baby's stuff or swiping at the baby. If I wanted cat to go to a kill shelter I would have taken her there a long time ago. I just cant take something my husband loved so much and let it be killed like that. I know the stupid cat is grieving the loss of my husband too.

So I called my friend and she starts looking up and calling any rescue she can find. There is ONE place a few cities over but we have to wait for them to email back and that can take a few days. Plus they may not take cat because I don't live in their city. The next place is over 100 miles away.

Out of complete desperation I called our family friend from lodge to see if they would foster cat until I figure things out. I love this couple and think of them as my surrogate parents in away. They are old enough to be my parents and have treated my husband and I as their children and my girls as their grandchildren. I think we have know each other for close to 20 years now. Their dog passed away just before my husband and their cat passed a few months ago. I KNOW they weren't going to have pets anymore. Their health isn't the greatest and truthfully they have VERY little to live on as well. But because I asked they are willing to take cat for 30 days and if things work out they just might keep the cat. So I drove around for just over 90 minutes crying, blaring Disturbed on my radio and cussing out my dead husband for being dead, with cat in the car, while waiting for my friends to come home. I must have looked like a mad woman.

I get to their house just minutes after them. I tell them the whole story of the day while trying to hold back tears. So he ( my surrogate dad) looks at me teary eyed and says, "I get it... I miss him (meaning my husband) too... now lets get cat settled in the house."  He is so right that this is more than just about a stupid cat, its not being able to keep something my husband loved. We get everything set up in the house for the cat and he walks me out to the car. His wife was too tired so she stayed inside. Before I leave he says, " I really wish you were our daughter for real. You know how much my wife and I love you and the girls. You always amaze me and what you can do." Of course I start sobbing again. Mind you this is the only other time he has seen me cry other than when husband died. I feel so guilty for asking them to take cat but yet I am so blessed they are in my life.

Its a beautiful story in a way though.  That you have such wonderful people that love you ... not because they have to because of a blood relation but because they want to. For you.  I pray it works out and they can keep him, I can totally empathize.