Happy Easter

Guest look2thesky

Guest Munsen

Every Easter I love the words "He is Risen" and the response "He is Risen Indeed".

It is so easy in these new, altered lives to forget the promise of Easter Sunday. The Bible tells us that we grieve but we have the hope of the Resurrection. That, if Jesus rose from the dead, then we shall as well. Even Paul says that if Jesus did not rise from the dead, then we are the most foolish of men. Thank God for all the evidence He has given us to confirm the eyewitness reports in the New Testament and elsewhere in the writings of non-Christian men like Tacitus or Josephus or even in archaeological finds in Jerusalem that confirm the eyewitness reports of Matthew, Mark & John.

"He is Risen" are the words that give me hope and help me through the other 364 days of the year when death seems so permanent and unchangeable on this side of eternity.

Because Christ is risen, I have the hope of physical resurrection for myself & my hubby & all my loved ones that trusted in Christ for salvation. And, I confess that while I try to live each day here to the fullest (and to the best of my ability); my heart in many ways is already Home with my hubby and Christ my Redeemer.

As I sat at hubby's grave site yesterday, I was thinking of the future day when we would rise from our graves, facing east to see our King's return. What a glorious day that will be.

What a blessed hope we have.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;

Praise Him, all creatures here below;

Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

I pray the hope and blessing of Easter touches all my fellow widow(er)s today and everyday. ((Hugs to all))

Guest TooSoon

[quote author=momtokam link=topic=435.msg5534#msg5534 date=1428249322

Mine is actually next week so we have had a free relaxing long weekend!

Us, too!  M and I just got our supplies for red eggs! 

ps - love your profile picture.  Sunion, yes?

[quote author=momtokam link=topic=435.msg5534#msg5534 date=1428249322

Mine is actually next week so we have had a free relaxing long weekend!

Us, too!  M and I just got our supplies for red eggs! 

ps - love your profile picture.  Sunion, yes?

Sure is TooSoon! From last summer at sunset. It was our last night in Greece before coming home. Sunset is magical there.....

Are you Greek too? Have you been there?

It was 1985 that I was there last. My cousin got married and 25 of us flew there from Canada for the wedding. It was amazing. I will not wait 29 years again!

Kalo Pasha for next week!

Guest TooSoon

Yes, half; I have an impossible to pronounce maiden name to prove it!  From Trikala and Larissa.  My Yiayia sent us to camp there when we were children and then I spent a semester and three summers studying and working on the excavations in the Athenian Agora.  Have not been since 95 and am trying to arrange to go with my Dad and my daughter one of these days, maybe for his 75th birthday.  I still remember when we were little my great grandmother would pick weeds by the side of the road to make horta; she never learned to speak English.  Kalo Pascha!

Oh yes the names TooSoon! I've got a 13 letter maiden name to prove it too! I threatened to hyphenate for a long time. My DH was Yugoslavian Macedonian, 9 letter last name. It wasn't pretty!

My mom is from an island Skyros, amazing not ultra touristized (I know not a real word) place. My dad was from a little town near Tripoli but he died when I was 22. Some of his family is still there and the wedding was there.

Plan the trip, your daughter will love it! My kids didn't want to go, were afraid of the language barrier, and family that they had never met. After 3 weeks, they were speaking Greek and didn't want to come home!

The excavations are still going on in the Agora and at the Acropolis Museum they have glass floors showing the progress. Everything is now not easily accessible and roped off. I remember going as a kid and climbing on the Acropolis and Sunion. 

Horta! I still can't eat them! But I so miss my Yiayia!

Guest TooSoon

momtokam, I LOVE horta!  My Yiayia and my aunts taught me (I am the only girl in my generation) how to cook everything but you can't cook Greek for two, only for twenty! 

My time in Greece was magical, young, carefree, broke and with lots of free time on my hands to explore and decamp in the kafeneia!  I never made it to Skyros but did travel all over that beautiful country on some of the most dangerous bus rides imaginable...

My Yiayia always waxed poetic about how beautiful Syntagma square was in the 1950s.  By the time I got there in the 1990s, not so much.  I never had the heart to tell her.  I can only imagine how different it is now from my last visit.  She died only a few years ago but we lost her to Alzheimers long before that.  Her last stories were of the tenements where she and her sisters grew up in the 1920s with their young widowed immigrant mother who worked in a textile mill in Manchester, NH.  Somehow my great grandmother (of North American horta fame) put all three of those girls through college though she never learned English herself.  Pretty inspiring!

We talked about hyphenating, too, but in the end decided that a Greek-Arabic hyphenation just wouldn't be fair to our daughter!  Too funny!

To the OP, sorry we sort of derailed the Easter thread!  Happy Easter!

Yes, sorry for hijacking look2thesky....hope you had a great Easter!

Yes TooSoon, those bus rides at the edge of cliffs and sharp turns always made my heart jump!

I don't cook a lot of Greek food, some here and there but I make a mean galaktobouriko! My mom cooks and brings us food all the time though!

Syntagma was nice because the kids loved seeing the changing of the guard ceremony. Omonia square on the other hand has gone so down, we were told not to go there or we'd get mugged. So sad.

Your great grandmother sounds like an amazingly strong woman!

My parents came to Canada in the 60's and started from nothing, working multiple jobs. My dad was a hotel manager in Greece and came here and started over, eventually having a restaurant of his own.  I'm first generation born in Canada.

Thanks for sharing TooSoon. It's nice to connect back to our roots and heritage. Here is a pic from Skyros and one from the Syntagma guard changing.

20140722_152007_zpso5ommtr6.jpg

20140717_133940_zpsl7xsyjkx.jpg

I got some boneless leg of lamb to roast for Easter, and I was really thinking about taking it in a Greek garlic-and-lemon direction.  It was merely OK - I should have asked here first to see if anyone had a recipe.  One of the things I really miss about Vancouver, Canada is the number of truly great Greek restaurants  :)

Take care,

Rob T

Loved the pictures from Greece.  Looks stunning!  Hope everyone had a nice Easter.  I kinda had a meltdown in the morning.  I actually was yelling at God, as I went from a family of five to now just me (oh, and my dog).  Two kids moved out of state, and one moved in with her fianc?.  Anyway, after I got it all out, I did apologize to God for my rant!  After 2 years, I still find holidays difficult.

I got some boneless leg of lamb to roast for Easter, and I was really thinking about taking it in a Greek garlic-and-lemon direction.  It was merely OK - I should have asked here first to see if anyone had a recipe.  One of the things I really miss about Vancouver, Canada is the number of truly great Greek restaurants  :)

Take care,

Rob T

Rob,

Did you add oregano?

Lemon/garlic/olive oil/oregano, the four together work for real Greek flavour.

In Greece this combo is brushed on everything!!

Loved the pictures from Greece.  Looks stunning!  Hope everyone had a nice Easter.  I kinda had a meltdown in the morning.  I actually was yelling at God, as I went from a family of five to now just me (oh, and my dog).  Two kids moved out of state, and one moved in with her fianc?.  Anyway, after I got it all out, I did apologize to God for my rant!  After 2 years, I still find holidays difficult.

Hugs Linda.....

Holidays are still difficult for me too. We hosted many holidays a lot.

I have not been able to host since. It just doesn't seem right to me.

I have amazing families on both sides, we always get multiple invites. I provide desserts though!

Guest look2thesky

I can so relate to this. I went from 4 to 2. Younger daughter does her own thing so I don't see much of her. Had some family issues at an early dinner so I made it short and got out of there. This is the first year I was unable to visit my wife's grave. I had a terrible feeling of guilt.