Birthday surprise

Trying

It's been 19 months since DH died and I finally got around to cleaning out DHs desk. #1 son and I were laughing about how ridiculous he was, saving every bill, bank statement and receipt for 20 years. DH also had a habit of buying things in excess. At least triple of anything.  I wouldn't let him go grocery shopping for this reason!  In the office I found box after box of file folders, envelopes, at least 10 ink cartridges for an old printer, enough printer paper to last a lifetime. Then in one drawer I found a stack of birthday and Mother's Day cards he bought for my kids to give me. Every birthday or anniversary he would always give me 3 cards from him plus one from each boy so these were extras.  Today is my birthday and Mothers Day is right around the corner so finding them yesterday was perfect timing.  I gave them to my son and told him that he and his brothers could thank their Dad for saving them time and money. Last year I don't think I would've been able to laugh and smile if I found them but I guess I'm in a better place because I did.  It was such a nice surprise and I think it was his way of showing me that his habit of saving everything and buying in excess wasn't all bad. 

There have been so many signs from him this week after what seemed like a long time of none.  He was such a pain in the ass sometimes but he always knew when I really needed him.