Last One is Leaving the Nest

lcoxwell

At one point in our lives, my Kenneth and I had 5 of our 6 kids living under our roof. One by one, they each grew up and moved out, beginning their own adult lives, until there was just one left at home - my youngest. That's how it should be.

Since Kenneth died, though, I am feeling the emptiness of our house, more and more. In just over a month, I plan to move out of the house, that was so full of family, of life, and of love at one time. I will be moving to a new town and a new life. My youngest, who is now 19, has informed me that, when I move, he is not going with me. He plans to move across country, to be closer to our family there.

For the first time in my life, I will be living completely on my own. I am proud that Kenneth and I raised such independent children, but it saddens me, too. I miss being a wife and a mother, with a house full of children. I miss my life.

Yeah, it hurts doesn't it?

All of mine have now gone. They are everywhere - Dallas, London, Iowa, Chicago, Manhattan, and God knows where in the Navy ("Don't worry Dad, I'm allowed to shoot back." J., that isn't making me feel better.) 

I urged them all to leave the nest, be successful and see the world. But still. . . .

Ouch.

Mike

It does hurt. Maybe it would be different, if they were nearby and I could have them over for a family dinner, from time to time. Instead, I will have two in Colorado, two in Wyoming, and two in North Carolina. The closest one is going to be about twelve hours away. I guess I am just feeling very alone and very isolated. With my move coming up, combined with the last one moving out, it's just beginning to really sink in that the life I had planned, the life I wanted for myself, is truly over.

I understand the hurt of our children leaving the nest.  I went from a family of five to just me now.  My oldest and her husband (and my only grandbaby) moved to Phoenix in February.  My youngest moved to Ft. Lee, VA, with her husband, and my middle one moved out of my house last September.  It's quiet and lonely here, but I've to encourage them to live their lives. 

To combat the lonliness, I got myself a puppy and I facetime them every day.  Maybe that will also help you?