Our Last Normal Night

Today marks the year anniversary of my last remaining "normal" night together. I recall he was very tired and foggy that evening, which was nothing new those last few months. We had dinner together and he remarked how good it was, and I remember being a bit sheepish since it was a snap to make, nothing special.

We finished dinner---he had showered while I'd made it--and he told me he wanted to get to bed early. One lighthearted moment presented itself when he plodded into the kitchen wearing my flip-flops, his feet literally crammed into them. He said, "Sugar, what happened to my flip flops?" I threw my head back in laughter. "Those are MY flip-flops, Silly Goose!

I joined him in bed a couple hours later. For some reason, I reached over and patted his left bicep and whispered, "I love you, Sweetie." This is not something I engaged in much in those last months, as his sleeping patterns had grown increasingly erratic, and he was easily stirred from sleep, and often restless.

I didn't rouse to or even feel his goodbye kiss the next morning, the day he would slip into a coma. I know he did kiss me, because he was nothing if he wasn't a creature of habit. He never deviated in certain routines of his.

And a year later, it still haunts me that that moment passed me by while I soundly slept.

Baylee

Dear, sweet Baylee, this is just beautiful.  Thank you for sharing this memory with us.  I wish I had better words, words of comfort or support, but right now, I just don't.  You are in my thoughts, though, and I am sending you tight, tight, cyber hugs.

I wish I knew what to say..those last memories will live on forever, just as our love for them will as well.

The last words between my own dh and I were both of us saying hello..just before his cell phone lost connection. I waited a few minutes to call him back, but there was no service where he was.

I have wished so many times to have the chance to tell him I love him one more time, as you said it haunts you that you slept through that last kiss.. But I try to remember the many times that I did tell him I love him, just as I'm sure you remember the many kisses..

Thinking of you and sending huge hugs!

((((Baylee))))

The day Jim died, I went to work-- no one had a clue that terrible Thursday would end as it did. I got up, got ready as usual, and left at 5:30, as usual. He didn't have to get up and get the kids ready for school until 6, so he stayed in bed. I usually put my shoes on last, then told him I loved him and I'd see him later, and asked if he wanted me to turn the light on (I'm wizard at getting ready for work in the dark-- it helps when you basically wear PJs!). He would say yes and I'd flip the light on, prompting a muffled curse, which always made me laugh.

That morning, I deviated from that routine only slightly, and I still don't know why I did. Instead of just saying "I love you," I crossed to his side of the bed, bent down, and kissed him. I'm so glad I did, because that was the last I spoke to him. We texted that day, but the last thing I know *for sure* that he got from me in person was a kiss and "I love you."

Damn it. Crying now. I miss him.

• 1 year later...