The Widda Bistro and Bar & Grill is open for business!!

mokie

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well besides all the glitter and sequins on the floor (which add a very nice sparkle to the Bistro) and the wads of paper thrown in the corner, things look pretty good in here this morning.  How late did everyone stay grading papers?  Sorry I wimped out early.  Shouldn't have had that last glass of wine.

I'm not much on fixing lovely breakfast things, but I could whip up a mean bunch of scrambled eggs and bacon.  And how about some grits to go along with that?  Coffee is perking, and there's juice in the fridge.

Hey, those of you outside lurking... I see you peeking in the windows.  C'mon in!  Pull up a barstool and sit a spell.

Oh, and the disco ball is a nice touch, kmouse.  Thanks for finding that!

That sounds great!  I'll have one... or two... of those pancakes.

I'll be in and out.  We're doing spring cleaning/purging around our place this week.  Gotta go spelunking in the attic for another box to bring down and go through.  Let's see what interesting "treasures" this one brings.  So far we have a whole lot in the "give to kids/donate/garage sale/burn barrel" piles, and not a lot in the "keep" pile.  Why have we been saving all this stuff????

Guest marian1953

I am proudly old enough to remember George Carlin and his thing about "stuff"- why do we ned this stuff? I loved his line about it gets to the point even our "stuff" has "stuff". That's where I am still at- even after moving 350 miles away. Lord. I will take strong coffee, french press please- I am such a snob- and a few pancakes for fuel!

puts on robe and ducks under disco ball?

Guest TooSoon

Back in the bistro with fifty essays to grade.  Take your pick, "Elgin Marbles: Should Britain Return them to Greece?" or "How to Read a Roman Portrait."  Plenty to go around!  I even brought a box of sparkly markers to enhance your pleasure in confronting my students' grammar.  And because clearly, the sparklier the better in the Bistro. 

I have also brought four boxes of Thin Mints, which I just learned went vegan this year (which means you can eat more of them, vegan or not). 

Ooh, hand me a sparkly marker, and I'll grade the papers for grammar... Someone else can handle the content part.  And I'll have a thin mint.  Oh who am I kidding??  No one can eat just one thin mint.  Hand me a whole sleeve.

I just finished going through a giant plastic tub from the attic that was labeled "living room stuff".  I thought this was from the most recent move in 2011.  Nope... from the contents, this was from the move shortly after S died, when I sold our house.  Holy cow!  You'd think there wouldn't be anything in there that I'd want, since I haven't missed it in 7-1/2 years.  But there's the wooden bowl that one of the custodians hand-crafted for me after S died... The custodian that drove S absolutely bonkers with the endless complaints he had.  And the personalized quilt that my church family made S and me, when we got married.  And a decorative plate of my old home church.  And an ornament of the old school where I worked, made when the new school was built and the old one closed.  I don't need or really want any of those things anymore, but neither would anyone else.  But how do you just toss those things?

**sigh**  So yeah, grading papers sounds great.  Can I add some Bailey's to my coffee while I'm working?

Guest TooSoon

Stepped out of the Bistro for a while since I wasn't getting much grading done what with the disco ball, the cabana boy and everything being so sparkly in the bright sunshine, to say nothing of the umbrella drinks.  I am pleased to say that I got halfway through the essays and halfway through a pile of freshman essay tests (ick) and tonight I thought I would share another contribution I can make to Bistro life which is my legendary and truly, stunningly shocking karaoke rendition of "Brandy, You're a Fine Girl."  Let me know when you're ready.

The cabana boy IS nice, isn't he? 

Ooh, I'm settled in watching my boys Gibbs, Tony, and McGee... Some Karaoke would go well with my evening.

I got back from exercise class a little bit ago... Look up a video of a workout called "Pound".  I swear our instructor is trying to kill us.  You use drumsticks, and it sounded so fun... Until about 20 minutes into it.  I'm gonna need an umbrella drink.

Maureen and Rosie roll up to the bar.  Maureen wants a good stiff one.  :D

;D  I'm going to assume you mean a drink, Maureen.  Let me know if I misunderstood.  The cabana boy is somewhere nearby.  (did I say that????)

I have some Davy Crockett's cinnamon whiskey that a friend brought me straight from Tennnessee... It's pretty potent.  It's gotten me into trouble more that once (well, not exactly trouble, but our friends' fence may never be the same... Long story).  How 'bout I pour you a shot?  And a treat for Rosie, of course.  Hank and Budger don't mind sharing.

Uhh...yeah, Mokie...I need a good stiff...drink.  I need lots of things, but I will start with a drink.  I hope it won't kick up my reflux.  Rosie had a long day and she is already zonked out.  Is there a masseur here?  My shoulders could use some attention....

**mokie comes sliding into the Bistro**

Hey gang!  I've been so busy today... I hate those days.  Exercise class, tax appointment (oh yay...), lunch, bowling, dinner with friends.  I had an amazing ahi tuna with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled veggies that was amazing.  I could try to replicate that here if anyone is interested.

Also still slinging drinks from the bottle or can, or you're welcome to hop behind the bar and mix your own.  Anyone around??

Guest TooSoon

Camped out in the Bistro with an obscenely large glass of wine after what might be the worst day I've ever had at work in my 12 years at this university.  Plenty of wine and whine to go around tonight!

Guest TooSoon

I need 20 refills.  Short version:  we denied someone tenure because he didn't do his job.  He sued us.  The Union, of which I am a dues paying member, represented him.  He won the case, got a huge financial settlement and is coming back to work on Monday and we've been told we have to just do what he says and give him what he wants to prevent another law suit and that we'll have to tenure him in a sham process when he applies again next year.  There are many more prongs to this and a lot more history than I could ever explain but it is the cluster of all clusters.  Feeling like a bit of a chump for being so earnest and being the "sure, I can take care of it" person all of these years and dreading seeing that horrible man's face again on Monday.  This doesn't even begin to do the situation justice.  Fezzes, sparkly things, umbrellas in tropical drinks and disco balls please!

You got it... all of the above.

That sucks.  Unions are great for protecting those who deserve protecting, but sucks when the ones who need to go are saved.  I feel for you.  Here on the farm, if someone isn't doing their job, there's only the Redneck or me to look at.

I'm breaking out the good stuff for you.  And I'll ride that unicycle with the fringy outfit if it'll make you laugh.

I just refilled my wine glass.  TooSoon, I worked at a college as well and saw that kind of thing happen way too often.  Sometimes it seemed that anything short of murder was excused in order to avoid the threat of a lawsuit. 

Any chance Johnny Paycheck's "Take This Job and Shove It" is on the jukebox?  ;)

Guest TooSoon

I just refilled mine, too, and am writing my fantasy resignation letter in my head....under swirling lights of the disco ball of course. 

Mokie...are you feeding her Michigan wine?

Haha!!  That was pretty potent stuff, wasn't it?

The funny thing about doing a wine-tasting at a winery... They give you just these **tiny** little sips of each wine.  But then, when you try all 25 of their different wines, in under an hour, it catches up.  Everything in that kitchen gadget store was HILARIOUS after that!! (and somehow, **someone** ended up with a case of wine in her car!!)

;D  Good times!

Wow! Exactly what I needed, a Virtual widda bar! Don't have to worry about no one getting me, driving drunk or crying because someone was bitching about their husband being an asshole... Damn I need a Bago and a bottle of tequila!

Sweet bar tender, tequila on the rocks please in a tall glass! Ty