Radio Hell International

Dear loyal listeners and newbies alike: Radio Hell is coming back on the air. After an extended (and pretty miserable) hiatus, we're taking to the airwaves once again (largely because we can't reach some of you any other way - and we've missed you). Having hit the one year mark, we're re-opening up shop to take your requests and provide you with lots of (mostly useless, but occasionally accurate) information to help you while away those long, desperate hours.

One big change in our format - we may call upon veteran listeners to provide us with their updates and wisdom. It's very simple, folks - nobody gets out of this by themselves. As always, it is our hope that you'll never have to come again - but just in case you do, we'll be here.

Our first broadcast is a heartfelt shout-out to all the Euro-Wids who were present at Euro-Widow-Bago Amsterdam 2015. Much love to:

Jenni

Tweety76

Helen

Aicha

Gracelet

Ursula

and dear Injo

So you've been warned - Radio Hell is back. Now get out!

Greetings, loyal listeners. Our first official broadcast is sort of a cautionary tale ? one of those ?Don?t try this at home? things. As always, you?re cordially invited to seek some actual help in another thread. Sometimes these things just need to be aired, but that doesn?t mean you have to breathe it in. Feel free to move on.

For a bit of backstory ? I?m one of those folks you read about in the papers, caught in the crossfire of the American Recession. I lost a pretty good job back in 2010 and could only manage to find part-time work as a teacher at a school where the students don?t actually want to learn. The hours are appalling, the pay is terrible, and the environment is openly hostile ? but at the ripe old age of 58, I?m not exactly on anyone?s ?must have? list. America doesn?t much honor the elderly.

So along comes the opportunity to take our broadcast to Europe (undying thanks to Jenni for making this a reality). And for a few days I find myself in the company of some incredible people. It?s odd how, looking back, there wasn?t a huge amount of talk about our grief; what it mostly consisted of was ample amounts of laughter combined with some of the most extraordinary surroundings one could ever find. It was uplifting, exhausting, and exhilarating; for those few days, I actually got to feel like myself again.

And then it ended ? and I now find myself having to be that ?other guy? once more, the one for whom there is no sympathy, no understanding. For those few magical days I was surrounded by safety and companionship. Now what I?m feeling isn?t jet lag ? it?s just that old familiar loneliness.

This isn?t a cry for help so much as sort of a warning: widow-bagos can provide a necessary means of escape from your sadness. But they have to end, and you may suffer a touch of boomerang effect in the aftermath. The only cure is the next bago.

So what?s the moral here? There isn?t one, sorry. Widowhood continues to suck. And that was, and remains, the business model of Radio Hell. It really only goes away when you build yourself a whole new life. For some of us, it takes longer than for others. Maybe you should try to fight your grief long enough to do something about your life before it starts to feel like it might be too late.

So we?re back ? and now is a good time, as always, to turn to the ?All Taylor Swift all the time? station. TTFN from Radio Hell.

For those few magical days I was surrounded by safety and companionship. Now what I?m feeling isn?t jet lag ? it?s just that old familiar loneliness.

It settles over you like a wet wool blanket. I got home and had to leap directly into my regular routine-- kids, dishes, laundry, school work, back to the grind. There's nothing really wrong with any of it, it just is what it is, and yet... what it is is still so empty. People are pleased that I had fun, but they can't grasp what it meant to me. No one wants to see the pictures or hear the stories-- and really, who would understand? All they can do is smile and nod. They don't get it.

So, yeah-- I hear you. And I want to go back, please. The sooner, the better.

Thanks Michael , for expressing a lot of what I think about the recent bago. It was fantastic companionship and without even much talk about  the grief, it was palpable, but because everybody felt it, there was no awkwardness.

Companionship is a wonderful word. Yes. It is an antidote to loneliness. Very nicely said Michael.

And thanks for coming a long long way.

• 1 month later...

In keeping with our sporadic and frequently pointless attempts at public service, Radio Hell International would like to provide you with an end-of-season weather report.

As summer draws to a close, we find that it's not going gentle into that good night - it's leaving with a final blast of oppressive heat and humidity. But within the next few days, we'll be noticing the change in temperature; fall appears to finally be on its way.

And so the subtle stirrings have begun in the widow community; widows, as you know, are sort of a mega-barometer when it comes to changing seasons. The end of summer marks cooler weather, true - but it also begins the long, grotesque crawl to and through the dreaded "helliday" season. And signs of the discontent are beginning to manifest here and there; the kiddies are all heading back to school, parents' attentions are shifting accordingly - and now us wids are again faced with too much time to ponder how little progress many of us have made in the aftermaths of our tragedies.

With this in mind, RHI is going to propose the one thing that made all of the difference in the world since we've opened up shop a year ago - bagos! We're currently attempting to brew one up for Halloween weekend in NYC if we can get enough buy-in. Watch this station and the Meetings forum for more information. But there's no need to wait for us to get our act together - we strongly encourage listeners to engineer one or more of them as well. They truly make all the difference in the world. If you need more information, feel free to ask here and we'll get the best minds on the board to give you the correct answers.

The bottom line is that it's time to start prepping for the inevitable. RHI intends to do its part to ensure no wid is left behind. Share your thoughts with us - together we can continue to achieve the impossible.

And so the subtle stirrings have begun in the widow community; widows, as you know, are sort of a mega-barometer when it comes to changing seasons. The end of summer marks cooler weather, true - but it also begins the long, grotesque crawl to and through the dreaded "helliday" season. And signs of the discontent are beginning to manifest here and there; the kiddies are all heading back to school, parents' attentions are shifting accordingly - and now us wids are again faced with too much time to ponder how little progress many of us have made in the aftermaths of our tragedies.

This must be why I'm crying sporadically again throughout the day. No real reason, nothing I can point to, just... something in the air. Sigh.

Glad it's not just me. Wish it didn't have to be any of us.

Hugs and love,

Jen

- bagos! We're currently attempting to brew one up for Halloween weekend in NYC if we can get enough buy-in. Watch this station and the Meetings forum for more information. But there's no need to wait for us to get our act together - we strongly encourage listeners to engineer one or more of them as well. They truly make all the difference in the world.

Damn...with kids I won't be able to make this one...but I concur completely Bagos and the friendships they have helped to cement have been the most buoying part of this whole misadventure called widowhood.   

Are we going to post the bago?

That is affirmative, as soon as we lock in the venue. For now the official date is Sunday, Nov. 1st - for what it's worth, MeAndTheKids and I are hammering out details on a VERY KID-FRIENDLY venue, if that helps anyone.

And lcoxwell - your warm welcome made all 38 of my personalities very happy (hey, it takes a lot of staff to run this place). We're glad you're glad we're back. Thank you so much!

...hey, it takes a lot of staff to run this place...

*watches a tumble weed roll down the hallway

It's not like the boss has been around much to supervise lately... :P Most of your staff got bored and went to work at Starbucks (yep, plenty of those in hell!). Cinnamon Dolce Latte, anyone?

Warning: for close to a year now, the folks at the station have been trying their best to keep people from listening to our broadcasts - yet some of you just can't seem to keep your little twinkie hooks off the dial. Our latest feature is one last attempt to get you to go find something better to do with your lives. Here goes nothing....

WELCOME, kids, to Uncle Touchy's Naked Storytime Basement! Come on in and make yourselves at home. Today's story is about a misbegotten little widower who just might have had something go right in his life. Are you sitting comfortably? Yeah, I know, the floor's cold. Last chance to get out of here!

FINE! Once upon a time, there was an arrogant little drama queen who spent years thinking that life revolved around him. One day he met a princess and fell madly in love with her; it seems that she possessed magical powers that made him realize that there were lots more things to care about than just himself. Inspired by his love for the princess and his new awareness of more than just his own pompous ass, he made plans for the two of them to get married.

And then she got sick. And after six months of battling her illness with all sorts of horrible treatments, she passed away - leaving the little drama queen without a pot to piss in.

You may be wondering why this guy was a drama queen. Well, it's because he loved the theatre; he loved how everything was larger than life on the stage. He adored the applause he would get when he delivered a line with just the right timing. In short, he was (and still is) pretty much a total egomaniac.

After his princess died, nobody applauded for him anymore. In fact, huge numbers of audience members turned their collective backs on him. After a period of inertia and madness, he finally realized that his only hope was to try to get himself back into the theatre to see if he could recapture some of the glory from his former days. He decided to start small and put together a little show made up of a bunch of short plays. He hired his cast and rehearsed them as best he could. The theatre didn't exactly share his enthusiasm, but in spite of their indifference, the show went on!

It wasn't very well attended, but it was a critical success. Everyone that came to the performances had a good time!

Opening night, after the first show, he went out to dinner with one of his dearest friends from the theatre, as well as one of the cast members. While they dined, he became aware that opening night was the 13-month anniversary of the passing of his princess.

He mentioned this to his companions and wondered aloud if it was remotely possible that the princess would have been proud of what he had done.

They both said that they were pretty sure she was, and the three of them toasted her memory. The End.

What's the moral, you say? Silly question - stories around here don't have morals. The best anyone can do in this place is tiny victories. The real question is whether this story constitutes a victory or not.

That's all for today's transmission. As always, here's hoping you never made it past the first line. Hasty Banana from Radio Hell!

Michael, great to hear a new transmission, have to admit, been out of the office for a bit, would have a latte, cinnamon or not ( hey Jen!!) and must say, really like your last post: 'What's the moral, you say? Silly question - stories around here don't have morals. The best anyone can do in this place is tiny victories. The real question is whether this story constitutes a victory or not.'

I guess as long as you can make up a story that is a creative process and creativity's rebirth must be a sign of progress in the healing process....

wishing you much fun in NY !!

• 1 month later...