article about car insurance rates higher for widow

Beyondlife

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

There are so many injustices regarding just about everything regarding widowing.

I had a meeting with my insurance agent this month to update my policy. My agent had been sending me gentle reminders that I needed to have Phil's name removed from our policy. While I was doing that I made a few changes, but my rate didn't change much. It actually went down a little bit. She didn't mention my widow status.

You know... I've been wondering about this. It's been well over a year, and I still haven't informed my insurance agent. I've suspended the coverage on Jim's car because I never drive it-- I need to break down and sell it, I guess-- but I've never had him taken off my policy. Am I going to be in trouble for that... ? I'm honestly not sure what to do. I have this vision of me carrying his death certificate into the State Farm office and them charging me some exorbitant penalty when they see the date... :-\

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

You shouldn't be charged anything, but it's advisable to take him off the policy only problem is you will have to retitle the car remove his registration at DMV and essentially "buy" the car meaning dmv fees make sure you put 0 as amount paid. It is one big PITA.

Another factor I know I have heard of is insurers basing part of their premiums on your credit rating - and we know how credit ratings sometimes take a hit after loss of a spouse.  Insurance sucks.

Take care,

Rob T

My insurance agent just sent me an email that she found me a discount on both my auto and new home owners policies and it was quite substantial. I didn't ask for it so it was a very nice surprise.  We have been with them for a long time and she said it was a loyalty discount.  Does this just mean I've been overpaying for years? Who knows, I haven't shopped around and really don't have the energy to.

Jen, I hated taking Tim's name off of his car and selling it.  The car and boat were the last things I took his name of and I remember crying at DMV after.  But once it was done I was relieved, one less thing hanging over my head. 

Guest nonesuch

I would guess that part of the higher rate might be that married people (statistically, if not actually) drive more carefully because they're more likely to have family in the car?

I know most companies charge higher rates for young males than they do young females. This made my parents (of two girls) happy.  The family across the street took another tactic: they didn't buy insurance for their three teen sons.

Y'all can move to New Hampshire, where insurance is still not required.  Massive 'bago would ensue.