I bought a new car on my own today!

momtokam

Pretty proud of myself!

Negotiated and got a good deal too all by myself!

The sales person (a woman ) had to ask me who  the decision maker was. ME!!!! Why can't a women be the decision maker!!!! Sheesh!

This might sound crazy but last night I had a strange experience, maybe a visitation. In what felt like a dream, I was in my kitchen and saw and heard a shadowy figure. Before I could make out what they said, I woke up but a rush kind of feeling went through my chest. I took it as a sign to do this today!

I am excited for my new car! My old one is 10 years old, broken AC, needs a new muffler and has a cracked bumper. It was time!

Congratulations, and enjoy your new car!!

I will be searching for another vehicle this fall. My oldest daughter currently has her driver's permit, so we need a second vehicle. I'm excited for her, but I'm dreading going through the whole process. My husband was the type of guy that bought a new car every two years. He was a car nut! It will be bittersweet going without him.

Congratulations on making the decision and getting the job done!  I bought my son a used car this winter and it was the first time I did it by myself, it sucks making big decisions alone but it is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Safe travels in your new ride, enjoy!

Guest nonesuch

It's a good feeling, isn't it?  I was driving a 12 year old car; the trunk didn't latch properly all the time, driver's door lock worked hard, lots of little thing that I thought, "I won't fix them because it's not worth it on a car this old."

It's nice to get into a car where everything works, and cool to have swung the deal yourself.

Oddly, I don't mind making the deal, I don't like narrowing the field.

Thank you all!

It is a very good feeling nonesuch! I didn't want to put money into the old car. I don't get the new one till next week, but can't wait!

I knew too much choice would bog me down. I only went to 3 places on purchase to not make my decision harder!

Congratulations! On much more than a new car.  Congratulations on facing a major hurdle alone and achieving. It's scary, sad, exciting, and anxiety producing. I did the same thing a year ago, at the 2 year mark.  I did it for the same reasons- my SUV was 12 years old, things going wrong, my hubby not around to keep it running safe and top notch for me.  I knew intellectually I needed a new vehicle. Emotionally, it was hard to have a new car he never drove. To give up a piece of my old, happy life.  But I did it. And you did it. 2 thumbs up and a pat on the back!

Little story. I have driving " issues". (Best way to describe it.) so, when we went into the car lot at first, hubby was always large and in charge. Salesperson always assumed he was the decision maker and customer. I was the " little woman".  MisterMan would put me in the driver seat, show me all the controls until I was comfortable.  If we were in busy traffic area where I wouldn't feel confident driving a foreign to me vehicle, he would take the test drive to side roads or a parking lot and we would switch. When we got back to the dealership to talk money, everything changed.    Dragon lady made an appearance and hubby was in the shadows. Ha! Salesmen,especially, never knew what hit them as I negotiated the best price. They would look at him with bewilderment . Hubby would just put up his hands " it works. It's how we roll"

Thank you so much MMM!

It really was a major hurdle in my mind but now I know every one of these hurdles is a another step in my healing.

I loved your story! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see their faces when you negotiated with them!

Good for you! You did what had to be done.

To this:

The sales person (a woman ) had to ask me who  the decision maker was.

I may have been tempted to answer "oh, my husband of course. I'll be consulting the Ouija board later tonight."

Congrats MTK!  I remember when I bought my first car by myself, it was so exciting!  Now I'm on my 2nd car.  The first was for my son, a used 2005 SAAB, this one was for me, a 2013 GMC Terrain.  It's very empowering going out and doing this big things on our own, isn't it?