Had to put the dog down...

Guest Mel4072

Guest Mel4072

Dammit. I got home and within 45 minutes I was rushing to the ER vet. I know it's trivial but it's still awful. March 24, 2013, my daughters dad died. March 24, 2015, our 19 year old cat died. I took my daughter with me last night because it was late and I didn't want to leave her alone. We got the dog 9 years ago. It just sucks. Looking back, I put some of the responsibility on her by asking if she was ok with putting Isabel down. Crap! Now I'm thinking the "what if's". Maybe I was too emotional and made the wrong decision, didn't think it through? What if the vet was wrong? Right now, I am hating myself....and death.

I'm so sorry, Mel. It is so hard to lose our furry family, particularly if they were one of the few remaining touchstones for our spouse.

My older dog is approaching 14 and had a health crisis last week. I don't know how long we'll have her and can only hope that she remains healthy and active for as long as possible.

Hugs to you and your daughter.

I am so sorry Mel, even our pets that bring memories of our past loved one is so hard to lose.. Everything is so hard now..

Please know that you did the best you could and it had to of broke your heart to make the decision once again all alone.

Life sucks sometimes, and awesome other times.

Good luck to you, Jeff

Oh I'm so sorry, please don't think you did the wrong thing, I'm sure if there was any other option the vet would've taken it. We had to get our 16 year old Labrador put down earlier this year, it was very hard on my husband who was unwell with cancer, he couldn't even help me get her into our car, she was having a big seizure and our 10 year old daughter had to help me and come with me to the vet. I'll never forget Anthony's face as we drove away, it was heartbreaking. She was our first baby and truly 'his' dog. It just sucks, another huge loss. Big hugs to you x

Guest Mel4072

Deb, your story really mirrors how I felt. It's just another heart wrenching piece of life. everybody else, thank you for your words of support, understanding and encouragement. I'm better today. It's done. Can't go back and she was really suffering. Dammit!

Don't beat yourself up, you tried to make the best decision you could with the hand you were dealt.

I agree that you did the best you could. I think all of us here know the danger of going down the "what if" path...

You did the right thing...don't second guess yourself. I recently had to put down our 15 year old cat (on the day before we left for Florida) because of a large and aggressive malignant tumor (which, ironically, was located at the base of the neck in the same location as my DH's most obvious tumor). 

It was, like yours, a difficult decision and also like you, I have lost a lot of my confidence in my decision making abilities.  But we both made sound decisions that allowed our furry family members the ability to leave this world peacefully.