When a Mcd's Combo Becomes A Gourmet Meal : /

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

I think that's when you know. What, I don't even really know either. But it seems easier than to cook for one.

And it beats cleaning pots or pans. Sorry, just ranting.

I think that's when you know you need to find easy meals to cook at home. I dislike McD's though, so don't mind me.  I have three daughters to cook for, but when I'm solo I normally grab a cod or tilapia fillet out of the freezer. I just cook it in the mircrowave with some vegetables. Quick and easy! The fillets are individually packaged which makes it even more convenient.

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

Thank u so much Virgo. I don't eat seafood, am on the run constantly. I never sit, think it's a slight add thing, if one would ask.

Actually fired up the grill ( broken, like everything else ). Almost cinged myself. Have some steak braciolle or something and white corn. That's the best I  can do for now

(I didn't make the steak thingy it was pre packed at Shoprite : (

Guest sunshinedaydreamz

Well the last time my Daughter and her BF used the grill. Turned the valve all the way open. I thought it was closed so I forced it and now it's stuck in the open position. Have to wait until it's empty. Wrenches and propane tanks are not a good mix : (

I had the opposite problem with mine this year. I couldn't get it to open up. Whoever closed it last tightened it to much, or it corroded. I ended up replacing the tank. The tank is what freaks me out the most when using my grill. lol

I have a big toaster oven that I use a lot to cook for just myself or if it's just me and youngest. Turning on the whole oven to cook one or two pieces of chicken or fish seems so wasteful or pathetic or something and things taste better than when microwaved, IMO. I will also grill everything, love grilled veggies and extras are great the next day on a salad.

I'm trying to get new guy to cook for himself but he hates cooking for one and ends up eating horribly.  Everything I suggest, he rejects.  I actually like the nights I only have to cook for me because it means no one complains and I can have what I want.  But I guess if it was always just me I might get sick and tired of it. 

It's funny, I've gone the opposite way and my hips can attest.  I never cooked much during my marriage. Chad actually did WAY more of the cooking than I did.  Here in the past 7-8 months or so my best friends and I have been combining groceries and sharing meals to cut down on expenses and it has worked pretty well. Along the way, I found out I can actually cook?!:  lol and the more I do the more I explore and try different things and I keep amazing myself.  Still deathly afraid of the grill though. That ain't happening. Have 16 year old son for that.  But I bought a griddle and have been amazed at how good steaks and burgers and stuff turn out cooked on that thing.  Secret is in the marinade and not over-cooking.  I guess by teaming up with another family,I'm cooking big portions and everyone enjoys and compliments. If it was back to just me and Katie and Jacob we'd be back to lots of scrambled eggs and Stouffers :(

I used to like to cook, but somewhere along the way I lost the motivation. When we got married, Jim could barely boil water, but since he was the stay-at-home parent, he ended up doing most of the cooking, and he got pretty good at it. Now I'm back to having to cook, and I hate it. Most nights I'd rather eat a bowl of cereal and go to bed, but the kids want dinner every single night! (What's up with that??!?!)

I lived on fast food ..Mcdonalds or prepackaged food

I find it so hard to think of making meals when you are not really hungry but you know you need to eat

plus going to the grocery store is still hard

I used to love to cook and Don loved to eat :)

its amazing how switching from cooking for two to cooking for one is so different

I find it so hard to think of making meals when you are not really hungry but you know you need to eat

Exactly. I do get physiological hunger, but almost nothing sounds good to me, and it's usually too much trouble to bother with. Shopping is a pain because there's nothing I really want. Most of the time, I think I'd be just as happy with a multivitamin and an apetite suppressant.  ::)

I hear you....When I am busy and starving I do cave and have fast food once in a while. Its also comfort eating for me personally...I just dont allow myself alot of processed food in my diet now since I have been on a diet and watching my waistline. My cooking is also way down as I dont have the time/motivation but maybe one suggestion is to pick a 1 hour or 2 hour window on the weekend or week night and make a big batch of something  - then eat during week or freeze ? I have been doing some of this and it cuts down on my eating out if I know I have something at home thats yummy that I can readily eat : )

Ideas: chili (beef or chicken), bean salad, coucous salad, any variety of stew, bolognese sauce, or grab a roasted chicken at the store and a packaged salad.

Guest TooSoon

Instead of going out, I also cook up a storm and then freeze in zip locks that I lie flat in stacks in my freezer.  Soups, sauces that can be used for lots of different things, chili.  I'm vegan and my daughter doesn't eat meat most of the time by choice so I also make sure we always have hummus, pitas, guacamole, frozen spinach pies, frozen pierogies and lots and lots of fruit and veggies we can just eat out of the fridge.  Among the staples I am sure never to be without: cans of diced/pureed tomatoes, cans of different sorts of beans, refried beans, salsa, rice, pasta, tortillas or taco shells, quinoa, lentils, vegetable broth.  I also use a lot of tofu in the place of meat.  With these things always on hand, shopping is minimal and I can always conjure something.  But the cook and freeze is essential in our house.  My eight year old likes to "cook" for herself by which she means get one of the frozen bags out of the fridge and micro it.  Also, that rotisserie chicken can be dinner, sandwich meat for at least a day and if you boil the carcass with some celery and onions it makes a great chicken broth.  With all of that being said, the child said she wanted rice crispies and blueberries for dinner the other night and I said ok....

All that being said, some of you from ywbb might remember when the pizza delivery man appeared at my door with our weekly pizza and gave me a huge hug.  He'd heard through the grapevine my husband died.  We had a pretty intense relationship with pizza (and evidently the pizza guy) that first year....