Anyone going back to school?

Wheelerswife

Ah.  The semester has started again.  I've been back at my graduate assistant job for 2 weeks, but classes started Monday and I'm already feeling overwhelmed.  I have three evening classes...Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  I think it will take all of Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday to do my homework!  I have to remember that everything gets done one bite at a time.  Last semester's classes didn't seem as intense...well, at least 2 out of 3 of them weren't so bad.

Anyone else heading back to hitting the books?  What are you all studying?  I am getting my Master's in Higher Education Student Affairs and this semester's classes are in Assessment and Evaluation of Higher Education Programs, Higher Education Law and Research Design.  (I'll be back in touch in 15 1/2 weeks....when I come up for a breath!)

Maureen

I will be returning to school, but not this semester. I didn't qualify for in-state tuition until last week. I only have about 8 classes left to earn my Life Science degree, but of course they are all hardcore lab classes like Organic Chemistry and Physics. So it could be 3 semesters before I complete them....more if I have to retake courses because of the time that has passed.

I dropped out after my husband finished chemo and he was in remission. We moved to the Florida Keys to enjoy life...and we did enjoy life to the fullest in our island paradise until the cancer returned...and with a vengeance: 32 days from diagnosis to death.

I'm sure there are some who think I should have finished my degree, and perhaps they have a point, but those few years in the Keys were the absolute best days of my life and I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.  But now it's time to pay the piper.  Who knows, perhaps once I graduate I will be able to return to my islands.

Ugh school,lol. Just kidding, I actually enjoy going to school, but I'm sad at the same time to go back. I have had four months off, I go back in two weeks.

I am taking mental health and addictions, I love the program and most of the classes.

Good luck!

Guest mawidow

Back to school for psychology next Monday! I was getting my application ready the week he died - so I am finally restarting this dream. I will be working 60-80 hours a week between school, internship, and job - but I keep telling myself we are widow-strong. Good wishes to all!

A grad school friend recommended buying lots of extra underwear for those times during the semester when you just don't have time for laundry...

I want to, but I'm getting frustrated with admissions.  I have contacted six colleges. Only one is within driving distance. I want a bachelors degree in health nutrition/dietitics. One college had the bachelor's degree program, but I needed an associates degree in applied science for that program. They didn't offer the associates degree in at that school. Four of the colleges only offered campus courses, so they were out. My next step is to schedule an appointment with our local college to see about getting an associates degree that will work with the bachelor's degree at the other college. I'll be able to complete the bachelor's degree online. They did say credits could be transfered. It's either that or choose a different degree. I honestly didn't think it would be this difficult to get started.

I am back to school after 24 years!  This week I started an online certification program in Integrative medicine and in 2 weeks I start my onsite massage therapy program.  Doing both full time I will done end of May which gives me not much time to figure out how to bring my career vision into reality.

Time management and technology will be my biggest obstacles I think.

I'm almost done with my current session-- I'm working on my BS in nursing, and BS is what it is, let me tell you...  ::) I've got two more classes and my capstone project, then I'm done. I could finish by December, if I wanted to pay for it-- my tuition assistance from work only goes so far, and I'd have to pay out of pocket for 5 credit hours. Not happening, unless I win the lottery, so I'll probably finish in the spring. It's not hard, it's just busy work, and I'm not doing it because I particularly want to... it's just the trend in my field, and it will make it easier for me to relocate when I'm ready to go. So it's fine and I'll do it, but I'll be glad to be done.

Full disclosure: I have a whole bunch of degrees from my previous life, when I was a bioanthropologist. The alphabet soup behind my name is ridiculous, and I don't even use them. I just resent having to get another bachelor's. Grr.

24 years after obtaining a BS, I returned to get teacher certification.  After DH died I took 15 hrs. in education and another 6 online to get certification to teach and am continuing with night and online classes to get Master's degree.  Only being extremely frugal am I able to pay.  I'm calling it my vacation fund since all vacations have been in the classroom these past two years and will be for the next year.  I'm grateful that I'm now in a teaching job and being paid.  First year teacher at 45 and finally have a career.  Best decision I've made since widowhood and like having a purpose again.  My cheerleaders are my 12 and 14 year old boys.  DH would be proud of us.