MIL in cancer?

imissdow

I went to see my MIL today.  My DD asked if we could stop and we were less then a mile away so we did.  She does not look well and I asked her if she wasn't feeling well. She had a endoscopy yesterday and they kept her in overnight because of some compilations.  So we talked about that and I got the rest of the story.  Seems she went to the ER mid August. They found a mass on her pancreas. They haven't figured out what it is yet. However my Dh, her son died of pancreatic cancer so the probability is high.  My MIL and I are not close, not by a long shot. If I hadn't stopped by She probably would never have called me. She asked a friend to drive her to her procedure, my FIL had a couple of strokes a few years ago and rarely drives.  They don't have many friends. I'm the closest to family they have in the area. Her other son is lives about 2.5 hours away. Daughter is in California on top of a mountain, She only has phone service when she drives to town every few weeks. I doubt either of them know about this and I have doubts that they will do anything to help out even if they do know.  I told her to call me if she needs something, I'm super busy but I would figure out how to make it work if need be. I know I'm not family anymore but they have been kind to me and my kids.

I have lots of works I would like to scream right now, however I have 2 kids still up and I need to go pick up the third. 

I'm really sorry to hear this news...

Seems she went to the ER mid August. They found a mass on her pancreas. They haven't figured out what it is yet. However my Dh, her son died of pancreatic cancer so the probability is high.

My father-in-law was not feeling well in 2009, and he didn't know why. He saw several doctors that year and was finally diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after several weeks of tests. One doctor told him he would have 6 months to live. He actually had less than 6 weeks.

Pancreatic cancer is a terrible disease. Most patients are diagnosed long after it's too late to treat it. You may not be close to your mother-in-law, but you would do her family a favor if you made the effort to notify them ASAP.

I hope that things turn out much better for her than they did for my father-in-law.s

|+|  M a r k  |+|

I am so sorry about your MIL.  You know all too well how devestating this is and time may be limitted if it is cancer.  I hope she lets her other children know at which point it's their decision what they do or do not do.  This must be bringing up so much for you, sending you hugs.

My husband also died from pancreatic cancer. Check out pancan.org because there may be resources to help you. It is a devastating disease, but they are making some advancements. (I volunteer with our local affiliate.) If you contact your local affiliate (if there is one) they may be able to put you in touch with a local support group as well.

I'm sorry to hear this sad news.