Did it, Again...

Guest Lost35

Was on my way to a store to get a birthday card for the friend of my son when I saw a man who looked, from behind, and walked just like Peter.  I got a phone call one day and then confusion and than at some point was asked to come down to pick out a vessel for some ashes.  I wish I could say I couldn't count the times I've turned my car around to follow some stranger on a bike on the highway...but I can't.  The absurd thought that the accident was a ruse and for some ridiculous reason he would come back to us still exists. 

I think I really needed to see his body. 

Just simply, failing to exist, is not enough.

So the ridiculous thoughts set in and there I was, just trying to get a look at his face, when I knew in my heart it would not be what I need to see.

"No body" is not good enough, seven years later.  It's just not good enough.

I just need to say good-bye to him, but can't.

Lost35, I'm sad for those that never got to say goodbye. I'm sorry for your pain. I was told by some that it would be too traumatic to see him after a traumatic accident. The stubborn in me didn't listen.

But I still think that I see him too. I follow men around that look like him. I feel like I need to be close to them. I know that it's messed up. Maybe it's our minds wanting them to still be here. In the beginning of this shitty journey I couldn't wrap my brain around the reality of a young, healthy man being dead. So you're not the only one who doesn't want to believe it. Accepting the worst that can happen to us is difficult.

Im sorry Lost35 - my husband also died in a sudden accident and I didnt get to say goodbye to him. The whole event seemed like a very bad nightmare - and Ill never forget getting that phone call from the Coast Guard in the middle of the night. I was thinking the other day how I would give anything to just see him again and talk to to him about all the things in my head. Sometimes when I am sitting somewhere or working out at the gym, staring out the window, I will myself to see his smiling face and picture him standing there. At 3+ years out, I have resigned myself to say goodbye but he's usually there in the background anyway, and in my thoughts.

I had  "sightings" for a long time, still do but they are less and less.  I will see the walk or the truck with someone with his color hair driving it.  Yes there were a few times I followed knowing that I was crazy but also knowing that something in me needed to see it WAS NOT him.  Must be a part of my grieving process. 

I was able to have a viewing, I can't imagine what it would be like to not have been able to see his body.  Yes, that certainly would screw with my mind for the rest of my life, I'm so sorry.....

I was with my husband when they took him off life support. I saw him lifeless in his casket. I still have mornings that I wake up reaching for him briefly before reality sets in. Will it ever stop feeling like a nightmare? 

I'm  sorry ((hugs))

I also see my don everywhere , I have also will admit I followed for a bit or watched that person

just so for a few seconds wishing it could be him but of course it isn't

one guy was the same build , look and I was so tempted Just to ask for a hug but I didn't

I am sorry you didn't got to see peter and say goodbye when he died

makes it seem more real but still doesn't stop the forever looking

I do this too sometimes and I can't help but stare at them.  Even sometimes with older men I think that is what he would have looked like.  There are so many tall thin guys out there with the same english-style cap and then when you add the big headphones I gave him once; 5-years later and I still wish it was him.

Guest Lost35

I'm sorry to hear you all go through the same, though I have to say I'm thankful to feel more sane, hearing your stories.

Take care, Everyone.

-L.

• 1 month later...