irrationally freaked out. Talk me down ....

Carey

I'm completely strung out this morning.  I have had to go to FIVE schools on opposite ends of the county to drop off children at school.  Because my best friend I talk about so much on here? He's in the hospital. I took him to the ER yesterday, long story short he was diagnosed with diabetes ... his blood sugar was over 900 and they had cardiac concerns as well so he was admitted and is having a stress test this morning.  His wife stayed there so I had to go home and get all 6 of our kids straight.  And then to school this morning.  I didn't "get" to watch Chad die.  But Chad had health issues and John is in the same room that Chad was in when he was rushed to the hospital with cardiac issues in 2006.  He's going to be okay that, but evidently something was triggered because I'm a freaking MESS. I kept texting him, "Please don't die. Please be ok".  My head knows he will be okay. My heart, stomach and emotions are  a complete and total wreck and somehow I gotta get through work today and I've not slept.  I guess I do still believe in God somewhere because I prayed yesterday.  But I don't feel worthy to ask for prayers for myself, just a little encouragement would be great ...

Hope your friend recovers soon. It is TOTALLY understandable that you would be freaked out. Give yourself a break. Take a breath. And do what you need to do to take care of yourself (eat, sleep, keep hydrated). Stay strong.

Sending hugs,

Donna

Found out today that he really actually did come VERY close to diabetic coma if not death yesterday.  I try to reassure myself that I was the one who caught it and got him there ... but hell I'm still a mess. He's some better. Cardiac is ok.  They have the blood sugar down to 360 but his kidneys are not functioning well so he has to stay and it's another night for me being Nanny McPHee I guess and I'm not up for it. I went to see him at lunch and since yesterday was chemo day I ended up having to stay in the restroom most of the time throwing up :-( 

I've been a diabetic for 13 years (diagnosed at age 17) and when you reported his BG as 900 I almost fell off my chair.  That really is insanely high and he's incredibly lucky that you got him to the hospital in time.  You very likely saved his life yesterday.  When I was hospitalized for my diagnosis my BG was only up in 300s . :o

The good news about diabetes is - as much of a bitch it is to control sometimes - in most cases IT CAN be controlled.  I know a lot of type 2's try to start on oral meds first - I'd recommend you suggest to your friend that he might want to ask his endocrinologist (when he gets one) to try insulin right away and if he's tech savvy and has good insurance to maybe even check out an insulin pump.  From what you've told us, he's got a young family and a challenging wife to take care of.  Insulin - especially when used with an insulin pump - really is a godsend when it comes to giving you flexibility to act and eat like a normal person sometimes, once you get used to changing out the connector tubing and reservoirs every few days.  And when my doctor was first telling me what my best treatment options for maximum longevity after diagnosis (an oddly clinical way to tell a teenager "this is the best way to not die soonest") she told me getting right on insulin was my very best bet.

If you don't have local resources or diabetics to talk to, I'd be happy to answer any questions you or your friend may have - just PM me.  It's a really scary disease and I know a lot of people are really unnerved at the prospect of daily finger sticks, injections, etc.  I'd love to help makethings less mysterious and therefore maybe a little less scary if I can  :-\

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Sounds like it was very serious. Hopefully from this terrible situation his wife will have the wake up call he needs and your friend will put his health as a priority. Of course you are freaked out!  The best way I find to take control of fear is to take action. I know you cook for your friend and his family a lot. How about going on line or to the library and educating yourself on diabetic diet recommendations? You can shop and cook in a way that will support his health and it will be healthier for all of you. 

I hope he gets it under control quickly. Hang in!

A few weeks ago I was also in your position..well, except for the shuttling children, my brother's children are grown. My brother went to the ER with severe chest pain, wildly fluctuating blood pressure, kidney failure and some pretty serious balance issues. He was admitted for five days. He had a brain injury in 1999 and as a result has no short term memory. Because of this limitation, someone had to sit with him so when the various doctors came in to discuss his issues (which turned out to be peripheral neuropathy from his diabetes) because he wouldn't remember what was said....or even that a doc had been there. Since I'm not working, it fell to me to sit at the hospital all day until my Mom could get there after work. I would have enough time to go home, get cleaned up, visit with my kids before I had to go back for the overnight shift. I know my kids were worried about their uncle, because the last time I took someone to the ER (DH), he died the following day.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying, I am in solidarity with you. Sure, I would like to say "Sorry, my plate is full...please feel free to contact me when my life settles down," but experience has told me my life will probably never settle down and saying no isn't something I am accustomed to.

Sometimes, it just helps to be able to vent! Hang in there, and I hope your friend gets control of his diabetes. It's not something to mess around with.

Oh, Amy!!! (((((((HUGS)))))))) I'm so sorry... that must've been so, so scary!! I would have completely freaked out, and the kids would've been left to fend for themselves!

Let the hospital take care of your friend, and you take care of you, okay? All will be well. Just hold on, breathe, and know we're here to support you.