guy friends and their kids

imissdow

Today was a pig roast fund raiser for my Middle DD to go to Africa next summer to work in a bio-filter factory and to dig wells for clean drinking water.  She needs to raise around $4500.  She has been accepted into the program and this was her first event. It went great she is has about 1/3 of her money raised.  The guy who roasted the pig for us is a good friend of mine and he donated all the meat.  I have gone on 3 dates with him in the spring until his business got really busy. We still talk every week and I call him regularly. I got to spend some time with his youngest daughter (A)  today. A came to help serve.  Anyways I got to talk quite a bit with her.  A  told me I should make a trip up to the shop and leave my youngest with her so " you and Dad can go out for lunch or something"  I told her that dad and I not spending time together was really her dads choice, and my 2 older kids where pretty good babysitters. He is always working and has turned down the last several suggestions  I have made to get together.  A told me Dad has been like that for ever and that  "he is really very fond of you"  This just seems to put me in a weird place.  For starters A is only about 10 years younger then me, he is 13 year older then me.  So I feel more like I'm talking to a peer.  Her kids are just a few years younger then mine and that's weird also.  She seems to really like me and I'm good with that. However I am totally out of my element here.  I didn't expect her to be encouraging me to spend time with her dad.  This is all really weird for me.  I really like her dad. He has been the first guy I have spent time with that feels really relaxed and comfortable with.  Yet we aren't a couple, don't know if that will ever happen and I'm good with that.  It's just all very different then anything else and I'm not quite sure what to think about all of this.

Okay that does sound hard to read.

Just looking at it from the outside, I think it would prompt me to have an open conversation with GUY, explaining what daughter said and asking whether any of it was valid. Maybe too much of a bold move but it would answer some questions.

Good luck with this. The main thing is it sounds as if you have a nice friendship.

Guest TooSoon

So it is weird but how weird really?  All people our age must have some baggage, widowed or not.  My situation could have been really weird if I chose to frame it that way. Maybe go up there and have that lunch and see how you feel? Is there much risk really in doing that?  It seems like he is a good person and you like him.  Why not give it a chance?  Maybe it just feels weird because it is unanticipated and different but we widows should be good at unanticipated and different at this point.  I'm of the mind that you can't know if you don't try.  Lots of love, imissdow. 

Guest TalksToAngels

It sounds like he (guy) wants to know you better. Perhaps he has talked to his daughter to maybe get a feel about how you would take a next step. Friendships have certainly grown into more, and it seems from what you write he (guy), seems interested.

I would take the daughter up on it, if you have more than friendship on your horizon. It seems you like him a lot..

You never know until you jump into the pool. I don't think he would be surprised, either.

Perhaps he is out of his element or unsure of how you would respond, given the age difference?  Maybe he needs to hear what you've written here.

In any case, the fact that his daughter is being so forthcoming and kind is a good omen, I think.  Good luck to you.  :)

Thanks for  all the replies.  I have talked to him about going up to his shop so he can teach me how to make sausage.  So that has yet to be scheduled but he mentioned it last time I talked to him.  So I will make a trip eventually.  I probably would have made a trip out to his shop already if he lived closer.  He is out in the sticks, about 40 minutes from me and nowhere I would go unless I was coming to see him.  I think this is part of the reason we haven't gotten together in so long.  One of us needs to have a couple of hours to drive to do anything.  I have never been anywhere near were he lives.  He however comes do this way fairly often but typically when I'm at work.  So we will see. If I can actually find some time alone to talk to him I will probably mention the conversation I had with his DD. Either way I still have a really good friend and he delivers fresh meat to me when ever I need it.

It sounds like both of you are interested in each other. I hope something good comes of this.

I have talked to him about going up to his shop so he can teach me how to make sausage.

I could say so many foolish things right now, but I'll just let you know that this is my favorite quote of the weekend.  ;D.

|+|  M a r k  |+|