Sunday Evening Burnout

Guest fern

Anyone else burned out by Sunday evening?

After 2 days being the focal point of my little one's world, by Sunday evening, I am SO TIRED. I can't take the endless stream of 5 year old chatter and questions. I just want someone to rescue me so I can lie on the couch and read the Sunday Times (which goes unread every weekend) or maybe just stare into space and think about DH.

And I know tomorrow is Monday and the relentlessness of school and work will start all over again.

I'm allowing videos on the iPad after dinner today (Wild Kratts!) while I read here about the lives of other widows and feel some comfort.

Guest TooSoon

Its 11 here and I've been working on a single document for my promotion due one week from tomorrow since 10 am with sporadic breaks to "deal with" my child.  It just has to be this way right now because I promised myself I would make this promotion happen.  Even if I don't get it I need to know I gave it one hell of a good shot.  You mentioned unpaid women's work well I live that reality at my provincial little university where there is only one woman who is a full professor in a department of 18 permanent faculty.  Unconscionable.  I tell myself I am doing this for M and me.  That even if I leave in a few years, I will have jumped that hurdle but I am fucking beat.  It has taken every ounce of me to overcome the humility and under-doggedness that has always motivated me in my career and buck up and sell myself.  I keep saying, "If you get this promotion it will pay for M's college."  It will!  But it is scary and lonely and so not me.  I'm doing it but fuck is it tiring.  And then the PTA and then the dead mice on my porch and the car inspection and just being so alone too much of the time.  I get it!  Sorry - did not mean to co-opt your rant.  Solidarity!

rant away TooSoon!

I really hope you get the promotion. But even if you don't, you're trying, which I think is huge. Keep us posted ok?

Right now I feel permanently burnt out!

I did a twelve hour night shift last night and of course after sleeping for only four hours when I got home the phone rang..grrr..

It really is my own fault though, I have taken way too much on, working, school full time and taking care of my kids. I am lucky though that mine are older, 12 & 10, and can pretty much take care of themselves. Then I remember they will be starting hockey soon and I will be at an arena at least four nights a week and some weekends..lol. I do feel for you though, younger kids need more caregiving. As she gets older it will be easier, but that doesn't help you right now I'm sure. Is there anyone who can take her for a couple of hours on the weekend, give both of you a break from each other?

I've realized I am a much happier mom if I get some time to myself, and the boys like me a lot better when I'm in a good mood :)

Guest TooSoon

One of the things I learned early on was that sometimes just paying for help makes a huge difference and that I don't have to - for example - shovel snow or mow my lawn.  I have local grandparents who have been a big help; it is still crazy and I try not to take advantage of them for anything but work or times they genuinely want M (my parents like to have her over so they can watch a Friday night reality tv show together - fine by me!) but I take whatever help I can get even if I have to pay for it.  I had to completely rethink the way I spend money since Scott died.  I realized I needed to pay someone to do the things he always did.  It is not a panacea but it has helped. 

fern, I get it.  I was at my computer Sunday night trying to research ideas for the kid's birthday party which I haven't planned but is coming very very soon, and I got the head nods.  I am just done on Sunday nights.  No family in town but they come as often as they can.  Few playdates, despite requests.  I am back into trying to supervise playdates which is good for my child but bad for the housework which needs to get done on the weekends.  My child says I never play.  I am completely overwhelmed, but still doing it, one day at a time.  None of it well and the list of house repairs is huge.  All the things he would have taken care of are the things that are left on the list, for months or- now- years.  Even organizing a contractor- too much work, too little time, too little money. Solidarity.

I'm usually done by Saturday night.  I love my kids but...  Next weekend I have a extra one. My youngest is having a friend  over.  I'm with too soon I will now pay someone to do stuff I or my DH used to do.  We also eat out more then we used to and my house is messier.  I don't really care or at least that's what I keep telling myself.  My girls went to camp for a week this summer.  I had a whole list of things I was going to get done.  I did nothing but sit on the couch and watch a whole season of NCIS, It was a great week.  2 months later the list still isn't done. I threw it out , my house is still standing and my kids are alive and well. nothing on that list is all that important. 

Me too! I am engineer and with materials when a stress is applied the material begins to yield. I am staring to feel that way, I have been doing this so long that the stress is really wearing me thin. I have learned to manage the stress in my life but it does not go away. I get some help from friends and family but not nearly enough and honestly, the kind of help I need is more of me. I guess all that I am saying is once again, you are not alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Damiansinc

Sunday evening kills me. I have a 5 year old as well. It's all me all the time. By the end, I'm feeling burnt, lonely and hopeless.

I get the burnout, but lately I've been struggling more with Saturday morning dread. The thought of two full days ahead of me of dealing with a toddler who's at an age where she's very demanding is overwhelming. I've spent a few Saturday mornings lately on the floor sobbing, just completely filled with dread and  anxiety. And then I end up being horrible, all day. I'm just drained. Completely done with it being all me, all the time.