Teachers-Are your classes by academic level?

Sugarbell

This is my first experience teaching jr high. Question?? I know at high schools (at least most) students in 9th grade are sorta tracked with more college prep classes/general/ etc. I remember in 7th/8th grade 30 years ago..we were tracked in math//English/reading..Some kids took algebra in 7th and 8th grade...some advanced English, etc.

Here..all the kids are grouped randomly...Math included..It's just Math 7. Now my Science classes are also random...every class has a few top kids...a few middle...and a few really slow.

It's so aggravating because the more advanced kids...are well held back...I teach to the slower kids...because they are also the trouble makers and I have to keep them on task...If they don't understand something..behavior goes out the window.

I am just wondering..is random class placement in Jr. High the norm?? Or is it just here?

Guest TooSoon

I'm not in K-12 but am at an all-access public university.  I have student constituencies at every level and with ALL manner of issues. Not sure I have the answer for you but I teach to the top, do damage control for the less prepared/learning-behaviorally challenged (very often putting in long extra hours to customize learning situations that will accommodate their needs) and losing a whole lot of sleep over the bulk of students in the middle for whom there inevitably isn't time to do the hard work that would propel some of them to the top. 

Here is the silver lining though: While working closely with the top and the bottom often pays immediate dividends, longer term impact is something always to keep in mind.  I coordinate an alumni event every year where we invite alums to come back and talk about their careers in the arts 5, 8, 10 years in.  We had three phenomenal young women speak this year.  So accomplished, so innovative in approaching their careers, identifying their goals and implementing plans to actualize them.  Not one of them was, in my estimation, one of the tops during her tenure with us.  The impact we have in education often comes long after graduation; delayed gratification, if we're ever even lucky enough to find out all they have accomplished or hear from them that we played a role in it.  I try to remind myself of that.  Plus, learning is a collaborative endeavor.  An education is the sum total of all of the teachers' hard work.  You cannot take on the weight of the world as a teacher, though I think people who are wired to want to solve big problems are often drawn to teaching; still, it is simply not realistic.  Hence the staggering burn out statistics. 

And always remember, teaching is, at least for me, full of plentiful opportunities to beat yourself up, feel like you are inadequate, that you failed in one way or another, that you said the wrong thing or made the wrong choice.  It is no easy feat but try to remind yourself of the good things you accomplish each day, no matter how seemingly insignificant they might feel.  The time you expend on one child today will be the time you invest in another child tomorrow.  The system is imperfect (understatement of the century);  you cannot fix it yourself so find a method that works, be true to yourself and celebrate the victories. 

So I totally didn't answer your question, as usual, but I'm hoping you don't get discouraged. 

Only math 6-8 and it is based on test scores, IQ,  and teacher recommendations.

I'm on a learning curve in teaching middle school students.  Too inexperienced to offer much reliable input but my mentor teacher gave me great advice that has proven helpful.  Plan for 60 minutes of class work for the 45 minute period.  Set expectations at the highest level and make modifications as needed. 

Guest TooSoon

I wanted to add, I also harness every single aide, administrator, guidance or learning support person I can find to mitigate the really challenging cases so that I can make time/space for the majority.  Utilize to the best of your ability any and all mechanisms for support. 

I'm not in the education field at all however I have 2 older girls. Oldest DD was in pre-algebra  in 6th and 7th grade. Then most kids were in all the same classes. If their skills were low then they had a reading class otherwise they weren't "tracked" until about 8th grade or so they told me.  My Middle DD took Pre-algebra  in 6, algebra in 7th .  They had a advanced science class that she got in at some point.  From what I can tell they mix the kids up pretty well.  My middle DD tells me the ap classes are better because the kids pay attention more and cause less problems. However they didn't start till high school.