Kid friendly resorts for Christmas?

Guest fern

Its going to be our first Christmas without Dad and I am dreading being home alone with my 5 year old. I'm thinking we should just get away and do something nutty....like go to Hawaii or Mexico (we're in California). Have any of you ever done anything like this? What did you do your first holiday or what are you doing for this one?

This will be our first Christmas without DH too, he died March 22. I just booked a trip to Mexico last night for me and my girls. I can't bear the thought of trying to deal with the holidays at home without him.

This will be our 6th set.  For me Thanksgiving is the hard one.  We have spent each Christmas at home the three of us and gone to my mother's house late afternoon. 

But at Thanksgiving, we always hosted and dh would cook.  We have actually only spent 1 of the 6 at home.  First one we went to Disney as the teachers at my daughter's school had a conference the Monday and Tuesday before the holiday which gave the children the entire week off.  I went home and booked it after the meeting where we got the school calendar.  Didn't know how I was going to pay for it.  Got hooked on Disney that week.  We haven't been back at Thanksgiving again; but we've been a few times.

Some of the others we have gone to my sister's house a couple of hours away.  It's relaxing, I hang with my sister, I contribute groceries but don't do any cooking and my children have a good time with their cousins.  Plus my dad comes and since he lives halfway across the country it's one of just a couple of times a year we see him.

We've also gone to Myrtle Beach (we live in NC) to a resort with an indoor water play area. 

By the way Mexico and Hawaii both sound wonderful.

We did great wolf lodge with a single mom friend of mine. It was an easy and fairly local alternative to a long plane ride like mexico or hawaii. Very friendly for young kids and a less overwhelming trip than disney. It was a good way for us to mix it up a bit. My kids were 4 and 7 when we went.