The movies.

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

I really wanted to take my daughter to see Suffragette today - girl power! history! something meaningful! etc. -  but she's hell bent on the Peanuts movie.  I don't want to go to the Peanuts movie.  But I will.  It seems like my life is made up of a lot of these kinds of things.  I don't want to but I will.  I wish someone else would take her to the Peanuts movie.  I am a crap mother.  I wish I could just get in the moment and enjoy the kid things but it is just not in my make-up. It was fun with Scott; we could roll eyes or laugh together but not so much when it is just me.  I accept that I must do these things but I openly admit that I hate it.  And then I hate myself for sucking.  That's all.  I just needed to say it. 

I saw the Peanuts movie last week. The plan was to take my son, but he backed out at the last minute...so I went without him. I had a good time...it was nice to just get out of the house. I totally get it about doing stuff you don't want to, though. I don't care for Transformers and Spiderman movies, but that's what my son likes so I suffer through them for his sake.

We have a deal that if I take him to a movie that I don't want to watch, I get to pick the next one. Movies that we both like, don't apply. It's worked out pretty well.

No, you aren't a crap mom. You are taking her despite not wanting to. That's a good mom. Believe it or not, she will grow up quickly and no longer want to see kids movies you might enjoy seeing. I really wanted to see Hotel Transylvania 2, but both kids didn't want to go. I only got to see Inside Out, because my daughter's friend wanted to see it.

I am certain I earned some sort of motherhood badge for taking the kids to see Shark Boy and Lava Girl when they were younger. I thought I might lose my mind in that theater. Worst movie ever!!

BTW, have you been watching any of the new Muppet Show episodes? I laugh my head off thru each one. The kids miss much of the humor. I so wish T was still here to watch with me. He'd love it.

The number of crappy kiddie movies I have forced myself through over the years!  Shark Boy and Lava Girl has got to be at the top of the list. 

If you going against your will makes you a bad parent, then we all are!  Glad it was sold out and you got a reprieve.

Yes, if your daughter is old enough that you'd consider taking her to Suffragette, she is old enough to go to the movies without you, although obviously with a friend would be more fun. Maybe wait until she has someone to go with so you can drop and go, and take her out for a treat afterwards if you want?

Guest TooSoon

She wants to be with me.  The movie doesn't matter.  It is the elusive undivided attention of her overworked, distracted Mommy that she wants.  And she got it - just not at the movies.  Thanks, all!