Burying LH five years after the fact.

Guest nonesuch

Guest nonesuch

I have a new appreciation for funeral directors. The past two weeks I've been arranging late Husband's interment.

The veterans' cemetery provides for burial, but not a ceremony.  The specific branch of service will provide an honor guard, but not a flag.  The flag comes from the United States Post Office.  The people I called to arrange the honor guard explained it was easier to fill out the forms online, but had trouble giving me the specific web address.  The form seemed straightforward, but LH's social security number began with double zero, and when I hit the enter button, the form took the zeros off so the number was two digits too short. And yes, I did try to put in upper case 'O's but apparently the programmer had created this form so only numerals could be entered. This was even a little amusing, because Late Husband was a computer programmer most of his career, and would have been incredulous at such poor work.

Unpleasant surprise:  I couldn't find the cremation certificate, and tried to track down a copy.  I called the crematory.  The woman I spoke to was rude and abrupt.  I told her I had the bill from the funeral home right in front of me, with her company's name on it and she said "They don't send them here" and told me to call the funeral home.  I'm sending the crematory a note about that.  I doubt they'll offer me a discount on my next cremation event. 

Pleasant surprises:  The Post office was very professional and the flag is rather nice.

I haven't laid eyes on the in-laws since the memorial service, but brother-in-law and wife are coming.

New Beau got on the phone Friday evening and contacted a local military chaplain to coordinate a simple service with the honor guard.  That's a pretty nice thing to do.

I had to do Chad's too, the funeral home did manage to get the flag for me, but I had to arrange for an officiant, flowers (because this too was almost 2 months after the fact, so no one would be sending any). The people at the veterans cemetery were WAY more helpful and nice than the funeral home.Because all I did at the funeral home was a private family viewing and direct cremation ..... he acted like a total a-hole. I hope all goes smoothly for you from here on out.

Guest nonesuch

All went well.  LH's brother was going to come, but got caught in bad weather and was unable to travel.  His cousin had missed the memorial service, though and she came with her husband.  I found the cremation certificate, which was good, since the funeral director either didn't send a copy of his to the cemetery, or the employee of the cemetery couldn't find it. *sigh*  It's their job.

I'm glad it went well, nonesuch.  I was almost afraid to comment earlier because I had such a difficult time following through with John's wishes and burying half of his ashes in California next to his late wife...and that was 18 months after he died.  I still have "my" half, and although I have a plot and a gravestone in town, I still have those ashes with me.

Hugs,

Maureen